PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulane Decision - Great Opportunity

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulane Decision - Great Opportunity

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:39 pm

Tulane's decision to keep Div. 1A football presents a great opportunity for SMU and Tulane to sell a "New SWC" or "Gulf Coast" conference to Rice, Houston, La. Tech, Tulsa, So. Miss., Memphis, and TCU. From what was written, Tulane wants to try something different to increase sales and reduce costs. A regional conference might be welcomed at this time. But it would take some selling to schools like TCU, Memphis, and So. Miss. If we could enlist Tulane to help sell it maybe it could be done.
SMUstang
Heisman

Re: Tulane Decision - Great Opportunity

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:20 pm

Unfortunately, I dont think Tulane has much power to influence Memphis, especially at this point. I think once Louisville leaves, the clout in CUSA will be with Memphis, East Carolina and Southern Miss. Tulane will go along with those schools and what they want, which I am guessing will be adding programs like Marshall and Central Florida instead of SMU and Rice. I could also see Memphis pushing hard for Tulsa to save some semblance of basketball credibility. Its possible, but i think highly unlikely that Memphis and SMU could wind up in the same league. The wildcard is TCU. They have increasing influence and the question becomes whether they use it to bring along another Texas team or not. My guess is that their view of SMU will be to let a sleeping dog lie because they dont like the recruiting competition that Bennett represents.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:32 pm

So you think TCU sees SMU the same way UT and A&M do? A team with less success in recent years but with just enough promise to be dangerous?

I think the comparison is thin. Granted, the little froggies have won more than we have in recent years. However, UT and A&M can take that "holier than thou" stance because they still come in and pick their choice of Metroplex kids. But I don't see TCU cleaning up like the Horns and Aggies do in DFW recruiting, and it looks like SMU is rapidly climbing the recruiting charts - especially in Texas.

I can understand TCU not wanting us as a conference rival. As Coach Bennett gets the ship headed in the right direction, we offer more and more of a threat.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:32 pm

I just think that it would be in everybody's best interest to form a regional conference where fans can actually drive to away games. That is what the MWC did.

If TCU decides it is in their best interest to go it alone, so be it. We can invite UTEP or UNT to replace them. I think TCU's obsession with the BCS is foolish. From what I've seen, there will be no team added to the BCS party. Unless by law they are forced to do something.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:02 pm

Southwest Airlines flies to almost every city where these schools are...or at least close enough to drive there after flying in. Image Someone call Herb Keller and get him on board with SMU with this new conference idea!!!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football