PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The 'new' Southwest Conference?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The 'new' Southwest Conference?

Postby JayM » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:56 pm

Three years stang( you mention several,5 & 9), don't get carried away.
JayM
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:21 pm

Your post proves my point -

Attendence - Neither school has much to bragg about, but North Texas is one of the few doing worse then us in the attendence area - why add another school within the same geographic region (i.e. TV market)that struggles in that area -

Size of school makes no difference - if it is mostly a commuter school with no strong following and very little notoriaty outside of regional.

Tradition - On your entire list of players there is only one that most people have heard of - Mean Joe Green - not exactly a pedigree.

My point is not that we should not play North Texas - I think we should - but adding them to any conference we are in would be the wrong direction for SMU - we need to grab onto someone else's coattails, not get into a "two drunks propping each other up" scenario.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gostangs:
<B>Your post proves my point -

Attendence - Neither school has much to bragg about, but North Texas is one of the few doing worse then us in the attendence area - why add another school within the same geographic region (i.e. TV market)that struggles in that area -

<>*<> As I said, don't count the "no shows" and then what is your real home attendace averages?

Size of school makes no difference - if it is mostly a commuter school with no strong following and very little notoriaty outside of regional.

<>*<> UNT has almost 20,000 out of 31,000 living on or within blocks of campus. I'll take that as some numbers a school could build some attendace with with just a little more success in the W/L dept.

Tradition - On your entire list of players there is only one that most people have heard of - Mean Joe Green - not exactly a pedigree.

<>*<> Good grief, man, how old are you? 14 years old? Ask your own Lamar Hunt if UNT has tradition. He and his UNT alum wife were at Fouts Field not so long ago honoring some of that UNT tradition with a special recognition of Abner Haynes.

My point is not that we should not play North Texas - I think we should - but adding them to any conference we are in would be the wrong direction for SMU - we need to grab onto someone else's coattails, not get into a "two drunks propping each other up" scenario.

<>*<> I am not saying we will ever be in a league together, either, if you read most of my posts; I am not even advocating it to be truthful, but I am just pointing out a few things that I think are just perceptions about UNT that have no merit or truth to them.

My definition of perception is "a rarely reseached assumption that most times is just merely an empty truth." </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-11-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:47 pm

Don't get your panties all in a knot when you come on an SMU site and have your wishful thinking about NTSU shot down.

I stand by my previous posts - struggling attendence - no tradition (Abner who? - are you really trying to prove your point by throwing out that household name Abner Haynes?), commuter school, redundant market = zero interest to anyone if there is a re-allignment - not saying WAC is all great but NTS is not the answer - Hey - as Kermit said - it isn't easy being green.
gostangs

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:17 pm

Why not just start a conference with SMU, UNT, UTA, (get them to add a football program) the newly named Texas State Bobcats and maybe grab a couple other Southland Conference schools. I'm sure TCU, Rice, and Houston would kill to get involved with that.
Funny thing, UNT has only been D-1 for a few years, they play in a conference with D-II talent, they have no fan support, and the only thing they have ever done is win one meaningless bowl game (in front of 5K people) and suddenly we should get in a conference with them??? Wow.....if we actually join a conference with UNT I am done with SMU athletics because I was lied to. That was not the message I was given by Turner with The Commitment....The Athletics Master Plan To Win.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:50 pm

And what could you possibly conclude would be my wishful thinking? UNT's program is growing and full speed ahead. 2 bowl game in a row that had very good Nielsen ratings from their ESPN II broadcasts. We already have one national televised ESPN game on the 2003 schedule (check it out for yourself PLUS several regional ESPN games).

UNT will not have to wait 3-4 years to get the thing going and then worry if our fans will care in another 4 years. What possible wishful thinking are you speaking of here?

I am just correcting some totally off the wall statements and perceptions you are consistently making of UNT, and that is all there is to it.

Try more research before you come up with more of your own self-made Aesop's Fairy Tales concerning UNT. (Honestly, I have my doubts that you even went to SMU but are from some certain school in Louisiana that used to always stir it up between UNT and SMU posters on the other board in the disguise as an SMU alum). You know that school I'm sure, the one that thinks UNT is going to steal their thunder in any re-alignment that comes up in the future, especially one of a regional sort. And for what its worth, we probably will.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gostangs:
<B>Don't get your panties all in a knot when you come on an SMU site and have your wishful thinking about NTSU shot down.

I stand by my previous posts - struggling attendence - no tradition (Abner who? - are you really trying to prove your point by throwing out that household name Abner Haynes?), commuter school, redundant market = zero interest to anyone if there is a re-allignment - not saying WAC is all great but NTS is not the answer - Hey - as Kermit said - it isn't easy being green.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:20 pm

My cover is blown.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pegasus » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:35 am

OK OK!!! nts is a great team! now get off of the SMU board! Why would we want to be in a conference with you, we're all so sick of you little sh--s now we could puke!!! Go torture the frog people for awhile. Don't you have anything to do besides watching OUR site all the time? Go back to sleep and dream about the nightmare that IS your life!!!
Pegasus
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football