PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The 'new' Southwest Conference?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The 'new' Southwest Conference?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:30 pm

SMU
TCU
RICE
HOUSTON
UNIV. OF NORTH TX.
UNIV. OF TX. - EL PASO
TULANE
LOUISIANA TECH
TULSA

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The 'new' Southwest Conference?

Postby SMUstang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:35 am

Looks good but USM and Memphis are closer than UTEP and Tulane would be more likely to join with USM as part of the package.

I would prefer SMU, TCU, Tulsa, Rice, Houston, La Tech, Tulane, USM, and Memphis.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby PK » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:52 am

USM and Memphis may not be too excited about the name...SWC, but the Gulf Coast conference wasn't too bad. However, I am partial to SWC.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-11-2003).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:47 am

SMUstangs group is realistically our best case scenario I think. Although I can't see Memphis or Southern Miss happy with that league. They are gonna look east. Most TCU fans dont even want to be part of that Gulf league unfortunately. Fans dont have any say, but it tells you something about how the league would be viewed by the public and tv networks. I think we better be positioning ourselves as a package deal with TCU to the MWC. Its not great and it involves pandering to TCU and the Gang of Five, but pride and arrogance has been our downfall before. More than once in fact.
Hoop Fan

Postby untgrad88 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMUstang:
<B>Looks good but USM and Memphis are closer than UTEP and Tulane would be more likely to join with USM as part of the package.

I would prefer SMU, TCU, Tulsa, Rice, Houston, La Tech, Tulane, USM, and Memphis.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And why wouldn't you want the 4th and soon to be 3rd largest state university in that mix?....especailly one that is making great strides in the main revenue sport--football. Of course I am talking about UNT. When we go 8-3 or 9-2 this year, will you rethink your post? I am not into bashing another school and I hope that SMU comes back strong--and I believe they will, but you need to give UNT the credit that it is due.
untgrad88
Recruit

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:11 pm

This isnt the UNT or Sun Belt board man, noboby 'needs' to give UNT anything. SMUstang mentioned 9 schools, which is the ideal number for scheduling. Granted its a wish list, but I see no school on the list that UNT has the skins to bump off.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 06-11-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby untgrad88 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>This isnt the UNT or Sun Belt board man, noboby 'needs' to give UNT anything. SMUstang mentioned 9 schools, which is the ideal number for scheduling. Granted its a wish list, but I see no school on the list that UNT has the skins to bump off.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 06-11-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason that I am on you board is because we are at a historical defining point in IA football and there is more interest than ever in a regional league. I just like to make a comment here and there to see what the responses are. I AM impressed by the numbers on your board that ARE in favor of being in the same league as UNT. While on your board, I always do my best to say nothing negative about SMU. Why would I when I firmly believe that we will all be conference mates within 2 years.
untgrad88
Recruit

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:36 pm

Okay UNT88 let's look critically at UNT's admission: (1) Football 10 out of 12 losing seasons just out of 1-AA; (2) Basketball - Sagarin rating 243; (3) Women's Basketball - not on the charts; (4) Track and Field, Swimming, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, only golf is pretty good. The other schools mentioned have either great football or basketball. Those are paychecks.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JayM » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:04 pm

88. SMU isn't in the driver's seat on any alignment or realignment.
JayM
Scout Team

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:17 pm

Hmmm, 1965 SMU grad, eh?

You post with the expected wisdom and mature judgment of one who graduated from you alma mater in 1965. One who seems to be of the group who look toward the future instead of dwelling in the past.

I think we all best leave the past where it belongs because there are none of us on any of these college message or smack boards who can change it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>SMU
TCU
RICE
HOUSTON
UNIV. OF NORTH TX.
UNIV. OF TX. - EL PASO
TULANE
LOUISIANA TECH
TULSA

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:39 pm

MeanGreenGem: No, I did not graduate from SMU in 1965. I did not even go to the school there. However, SMU is part of my family's heritage. One grandparent shuffled back and forth from SMU to some unnamed school in Austin where she drank a lot of tea Image. Both parents attended SMU. My father was a 'yell leader' there in 1947-48 (ran Peruna across the field at the games). My aunts & uncles went there, too. (One uncle was on the football team in 1933.) I was named Mr. Mustang in 1965 before the Homecoming game, against the vaunted Longhorns, which we won! I was raised not more than two miles from The Hilltop and my mother still works there.

Thank you for your compliment on my wisdom and maturity. As far as those of us who post on these boards not being able to do anything about changing things, well... Image We'll see.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 06-11-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby JayM » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:48 pm

Eaststang your post is not exactly correct about UNT sports.

1.Ladys basketball has played in the WNIT two of the past three years.
2.Two men's track championships in the past three years.
3.Ladys are this years conference track champs.
4.Ladys soccer won 2001 conference championship.
5.Men are this years conference Golf champs.
6.Two conference titles in football & two bowl games past two years.

You don't like UNT, that's fine. What conference championships have your stangs won in the past three years?
JayM
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:06 pm

I have no anti - NTSU bias - but they add nothing to a conference - no attendence, no tradition, no T.V. market. I am all for putting them on the schedule for regional out of conference fun, but if we end up in a conference with NTSU it is not a good sign for our football future.
gostangs

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:13 pm

Let's see. Track Men's and womens champs in the WAC indoor and outdoor. Cross Country -Men's and Women's WAC champs. Basketball- Women's NIT several times. Men's top half WAC , one NIT bid. Tennis - WAC champs five times and NCAA final four. Golf - WAC champs twice and NCAA finalist twice. Soccer - Men's MVC Champs three times, WAC 2 time (no longer a WAC sport) NCAA final four one time, Soccer Women's WAC champs several times. NCAA tournament bid. Swimming - Women's WAC champs 9 straight times, NCAA top 5 finisher three times. Men's - UIC Champs three times, WAC 2 times. Football- we've stunk for 12 years, one winning season, no contest there. 7 of those seasons in the SWC while UNT was in 1-AA. Want to compare something else?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gostangs:
<B>I have no anti - NTSU bias - but they add nothing to a conference

<>*<> How about a school larger than any 2 of your WAC East schools combined? How about a school that even in less than stellar years for both our schools we have never drawn less than 22,000 attendance when we have played each other in football? (What would SMU draw against LaTech at Ford at the end of a football season with a less than good W/L record)? How about a school your fans could travel to when you are 3 & 7 or 4 & 6; and when they might not ordinarily follow the team to Ruston, Tulsa, El Paso, etc, etc, with such a record?

"...no attendence,"

<>*<> As a few of your posters have pointed out, yall have been reporting ALL tickets sold which don't tell the real story about the butts in seats that reflect the true turnstile count and probably the numbers your school has been turning in to the NCAA in recent years. Without counting "no shows" in the totals, what are you looking at for your real home attendance averages? UNT has met the upcoming NCAA attendance criteria the last 2 years with real BIS, but I'd say we all have much work to do in that department.

"...no tradition,"

<>*<> UNT has as much tradition as the marjority of the WAC I would have to say; after all, we were in a "quasi-CUSA" type league (UH, Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, etc,etc) during most of the 1950's up until 1974 when Hayden Fry and UNT went Indy'; but how times have changed, it now seems some of your faithful would kill to get in bed with those same aforementioned schools. No tradition you say? The following are just part of UNT's tradition: Abner Haynes (Lamar Hunt's 1'st big signing with his new AFL team), Ray Renfro, Mean Joe Greene, Cedric Hardman, Ron Shanklin, Steve Ramsey, Ken Washington, J.T.Smith (ask Lamar H. about him, too) etc, etc, etc, Whoops, almost forgot! Brandon "Booger" Kennedy, our consensus All American in 2003.

"...no T.V. market."

<>*<> I think the ESPN folks would beg to differ with you on that and with that comment you seem to be just grasping for straws without having researched anything on that subject (or much of the rest for that matter). Just because you're in a large TV market doesn't always mean you can command Nielsen ratings in it. Texas Weslyan U is in the USA's 6'th ranked TV market, now aren't they?

"...I am all for putting them on the schedule for regional out of conference fun, but if we end up in a conference with NTSU it is not a good sign for our football future."

<>*<> For the life of me, what is it about the majority of the WAC schools that makes you feel so comfy' with them? Heck, yall wouldn't have scheduled any of them when you were in the SWC (while during that same time, Russ Potts was scheduling UNT regularly). UNT can, has and is now running circles around most of your WAC schools in football. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-11-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Next

Return to Football