PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Expansion

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:42 am

If the ACC does not expand then those hypocrites in the BE wil go after 4 (5 when Miami leaves) teams from other conferences to reach 12. So one way or another SMU will be affected by what goes on--either the ACC expands or the BE expands.

Miami will never stay in the BE. They will be gone ASAP. BC is in a tough spot--they really have nowhere else to go. Cuse never wanted to leave in the first place.

<A HREF="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/6060829.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/6060829.htm</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Expansion

Postby Corso » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:52 am

So if the ACC expansion falls through (50-50 at this point, according to Coop and Newy yesterda), what happens next? Do they pursue other teams? And if they don't take the Big East teams, who does the BE go after in your opinion?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:05 pm

I don't think there are any expansion candidates other than the 3 in play now that the ACC would even consider. Louisville's academics would never make the cut. Highly doubtful that East Carolina would be admitted. That would be like the old SWC inviting UNT. In theory though, the set of Miami, East Carolina and Louisville would be good football and geographic fits for the ACC. My guess is that the ACC would stand pat. And the Big East would try to kiss and make up with Miami, but if they couldnt it might come down to a power struggle between the Big East (with Cuse and BC back in the fold) against Miami to see who could attract Louisville, Cincinnati and East Carolina. I cant imagine Miami tucking tail and going back to the Big East. Stranger things have happened but not many.
Hoop Fan

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:08 pm

The ACC will stand pat. It's more of a club than a conference anyway. They only expand when absolutely necessary and when it fits their needs. FSU and Miami are SEC type teams. I don't know what they are doing in the ACC in the first place.

The BE will take Louisville, CF or SF and then all the usual suspects come in to play once again. They lost their cash cow when they sued Miami. They may never reach BCS status again no matter what they do when Miami leaves.
Nacho

Postby SWC Grey Hair » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:20 pm

The Big East will expand no matter what. Their not being proactive to expansion is what caused this mess in the first place which is all good for us. Louisville is going to the Big East for sure and Army is getting out of CUSA. Therefore, CUSA,if they stay together,will be looking for at least three schools to get to 12. They would want to add three from Marshall,Temple,SMU,and Tulsa. The new CUSA West would be SMU, TCU, Tulane, Houston,Southern Miss,UAB or Memphis.
TCU doesn't want us in but I think CUSA sees now they made a mistake not taking us before based upon the need to have both SMU and TCU is this market to get any worthwhile media exposure.
SWC Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:28 pm

I think the new BE would hold their nose and readmit Temple since they have some history with Rutgers and UConn, and the Bball schools of Villanova and Georgetown. Better the dog you know than the dog you don't know.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:29 pm

I dont know if it will stop them, but if the Big East hangs together they are gonna have a hard time raiding another league without being the biggest hypocrits and lawsuit targets in the world. As for CUSA, if TCU really doesnt want us in, SMU wont get in. The only other school that would support us is Tulane.
Hoop Fan

Postby PK » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:36 pm

I've heard on a number of occasions that the Houston coach would like to see us in CUSA. So I would think Tulane is not the only other school that would support us.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:48 pm

ok, I'm convinced. UH and Tulane love us. Without TCU, that would still be well short of the votes needed though. Memphis would want Tulsa I believe. USM would want UCF, Marshall or others.
Hoop Fan

Postby SWC Grey Hair » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:14 pm

Don't forget they will need at least three teams to get to 12 and travel costs are becoming a big concern for every conference,so splitting into two divisions will save everybody money. Would we rather be in a West CUSA, East WAC. or new SWC? If CUSA stays together and we are with TCU,Houston,Tulane,Southern Miss, that might be the way to go with their bowl and tv ties.
SWC Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:15 pm

I think the TCU fans and the TCU administrators are two different animals. They are only in CUSA because we persuaded them to go in with us to join the conference. I think their administrators will honor that. Our application was rejected, theirs was accepted. They also enjoy playing us every year as do their older alums.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Return to Football