PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Neuheisel to be fired?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Neuheisel to be fired?

Postby PonyTales » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:34 pm

CNNSI.com:

Report: Neuheisel to be fired over NCAA tournament pool

SEATTLE (AP) -- Rick Neuheisel's participation in a high-stakes gambling pool on the NCAA basketball tournament reportedly will cost him his job as Washington's football coach.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, citing multiple unidentified sources close to the football program, reported that Neuheisel was told Tuesday by athletic director Barbara Hedges that he would be fired.

The newspaper said the sources were familiar with negotiations and indicated Neuheisel would be fired because he broke NCAA rules by taking part in the tournament pool.

Athletic department spokesman Jim Daves said Tuesday night that Neuheisel's status as coach had not changed and an investigation into possible violations of NCAA gambling rules was continuing.

"The university is continuing to review this matter," Daves said. "Coach Neuheisel has not been fired."

The newspaper said Huskies offensive coordinator Keith Gilbertson would be named interim coach and the rest of Neuheisel's staff would be retained. Contacted by the newspaper, Gilbertson said he was unaware of the change.

Efforts by The Associated Press to reach Neuheisel and Gilbertson were not immediately successful.

Earlier Tuesday, Neuheisel appeared concerned and confused after spending 10 minutes with Hedges and members of the university's compliance department.

The coach said he went to the meeting "to get my cards on the table." But he came out looking genuinely worried, speaking in abbreviated sentences and unable to remain standing in one spot for long.

"These are big issues in my life we're talking about," he said.

Neuheisel brought a private attorney to the meeting but stormed out after being told his outside legal counsel represented a conflict of interest.

About four hours later, Hedges came out. She declined to explain what was discussed but politely promised reporters she would speak when it was appropriate.

"When I can talk to you, I will," Hedges said. "I just can't right now."

Neuheisel contends a school e-mail gave him permission to participate in the betting poll with friends and neighbors the past two years.

However, an NCAA official said Tuesday the organization has made it clear that gambling isn't tolerated, suggesting Neuheisel should have known better than to enter such a pool.

"The gambling rule is not vague," said Bill Saum, the NCAA's director of agents, gambling and amateur activities.

Saum wouldn't discuss Neuheisel or Washington directly, citing NCAA policy. The NCAA, though, opened an investigation last week after Neuheisel admitted betting on the last two NCAA basketball tournaments.

"It is clear and direct against participation in pools and it has been clearly interpreted that way over the years," Saum said of the rule.

NCAA bylaw 10.3 prohibits athletic department staff members and student-athletes from gambling.

Saum said the NCAA has made gambling a "front-burner issue" in the past five years, emphasizing at compliance seminars and in regular NCAA publications that any gambling is against the rules.

"I routinely do an immense number of interviews around the time of the Final Four regarding pools," Saum said.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Neuheisel to be fired?

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:42 pm

If Bennett ever got fired over something as ridiculous as this, I'd call for Copeland's resignation. UW aint getting much better than Neuheisel. What a shame...

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 06-11-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:04 pm

"NCAA bylaw 10.3 prohibits athletic department staff members and student-athletes from gambling."

UNFMustang: Do you have a problem with that bylaw? It's pretty plain English. Black & white. Are you condoning gambling by athletic department staff members and student-athletes?

I pray to God that SMU never finds itself in a similar situation...we've already gone down that trail once in my lifetime!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:09 pm

....so he should be fired for doing what 80 million Americans do every year?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Lefty » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:47 pm

If he works for an organization that has very specific rules against it, or for an organization that operates under a larger system (NCAA) that has very specific rules .... YES.
Lefty
All-American

Postby OldPony » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:52 pm

If he fets fired, it isn't for this incident. It is a compilation of prior problems with this. This isn't what the NCAA was trying to guard against in its anti-gambling rules. It becomes convenient though when other problems with the NCAA arise and they can't punish currnet CU coaches and players nor can they punish UW for Rick's past transgressions. It's a goctha!
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:00 pm

Maybe UW uses this as a first step in cleaning up a somewhat maverick program? They knew what they were getting when they canned Jim Lambright, essentially a UW lifer and reportedly a man of impeccable character and morals, in favor of Little Ricky. Just like when Billy Joe Hobert bent a few rules under Don James when UW was at or near the top of the national polls in the early ’90s. Perhaps the Washington administration has had enough and is going to use this chance to publicly announce its intention to go squeaky-clean.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Return to Football