PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Vandy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Vandy

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:12 pm

Saw this on the Tulane board. Vandy is in some trouble with season ticket sales. The next Tulane? Even with an outstanding schedule they can't attract fans. We would salivate for the schedule they have this year. I know from reading the Vandy board in the past that they are very tired of getting their brains beat out every week in the SEC. Just goes to show how important winning is.

<A HREF="http://www.sportsonly.com/boards/tulane/bin/230979.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sportsonly.com/boards/tulane/bin/230979.html</A>

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 06-11-2003).]
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Vandy

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:55 pm

And a recent report said that the SEC teams split something like $110 million in basketball (NCAA bids and TV dollars) and football (bowls and TV) profits. You know they'll do anything possible to stay in that lottery.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:02 pm

I wasn't implying that Vandy will drop football. They will never do that as long as the SEC check clears. My point is that even in a conference as great as the SEC a team must win or the fans lose interest. Note how Baylor's attendance has dropped for further proof.
Nacho

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:49 pm

Prediction: there will be more SMU fans in Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco on September 13 than Baylor fans.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:57 pm

That's a bold prediction and one that will not likely occur in my lifetime. As a top 25 program, we didn't travel 5,000 to Baylor. Waco supports the Bears reasonably well, and that will be viewed as their best chance for a home win, so I expect a good turnout. Heck, Baylor will probably bring more fans from Dallas than SMU will. I certainly hope the Baylor game in Ford in 2004 draws something in the neighborhood of 30,000. Lots of Baylor folks in Dallas!

As for the original Vandy comment, I read where they have sold only 2,000 season tickets compared to 6,000 last year. And that's to watch SEC football? Are they like us or what? The writer's comment was; "makes one wonder why Vandy is in, while BYU (who regularly sells 65,000 tickets) is out?"

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 06-11-2003).]
Charleston Pony

Return to Football