PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

rumor from CUSA board...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

rumor from CUSA board...

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:11 pm

apparently a media guy with credibility in Louisville said last night that should the Big East expand, the candidates are Louisville, East Carolina, Central Florida and South Florida. Conspicuously, no Memphis or Cincinatti. I've always assumed Cincy was a natural Big East fit with Louisville and them being left out would almost certainly have a big impact on CUSA wheeling and dealings.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 06-11-2003).]
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: rumor from CUSA board...

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:44 pm

That's still 3 C-USA teams leaving. Cincy with its terrible academic reputation regarding graduation of athletes may not be what the BE wants.
Nacho

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:50 pm

If E Carolina leaves that leaves only Army as an east coast team. Rumor has it that Army is going to leave C-USA, which leaves 4 spots open.
Nacho

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:04 pm

If they invite Temple back, it would only be two. Either South Fla or UCF, not both. The implication to me is that with Cincy, I think CUSA has a different political dynamic. Cincy views basketball more prominently than East Carolina would and it might bring MAC schools into the picture too because of geography.
Hoop Fan

Postby Roach » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:15 pm

If some or all of those teams bolt C-USA and leave Cincinnati and Memphis, suddenly C-USA becomes a much more appealing conference for a possible SMU move, doesn't it? Sure would be easier to sell TV rights with those two still in the conference.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:24 pm

Of course CUSA is more appealing with Memphis and Cincy. No doubt. But I am suggesting that with the influence of Cincy, CUSA might find several schools more appealing than SMU. For instance Miami of Ohio, or Toledo. Marshall too. At some point there are too many candidates and not enough spots. Its debatable where you see SMU in the hierarchy of this list: SMU,Tulsa, Rice, La Tech, Marshall, Miami Oh, Toledo, UCF. Thats at least 8 schools for no more than 5 spots. All conjecture.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 06-11-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:08 pm

Agreed...CUSA will try to raid the MAC. I don't understand East Carolina as a Big East candidate though... they're really not THAT solid in all of the revenue sports. Basketball is terrible..football is mediocre at the moment... they have some beautiful women though. I dno.. not sure if I'm buying that rumor. There are more viable candidates than E. Carolina. Cincy makes sense to me. We'll see I guess..

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 06-11-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:38 pm

SMU has to hope that the Big East decides to expand to 9/18 instead of 8/16. If they go larger, there's a chance they invite Louisville, ECU, USF & UCF (makes sense to be in both Tampa and Orlando if you want a Fla presence) Going with 9/18 also makes it likely they invite Marquette & DePaul along with Xavier in hoops.

That about wipes out CUSA and either makes TCU & Houston available to join the WAC or sets up a "survival mode" CUSA that might consist of the WAC east schools (except UTEP) plus Tulane, Memphis, S.Miss, Cincy & UAB. Cincy may bring a stonger combination fball/bball program, but the BE may pass on them because of their poor academic reputation (low graduation rates).

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 06-11-2003).]
Charleston Pony

Postby Southland » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:18 pm

Big East Alliance...

It's going to be an even split of football schools:non-football schools. It just depends on the total number.

Non-football candidates:
Marquette, DePaul, Xavier

Football candidates:
*Louisville, Cincinnati, East Carolina, South Florida, Central Florida

I doubt they take both Xavier and Cincinnati; its going to be either/or. UC has a chance, because expanding with Cincinnati in all sports and Marquette/DePaul in non-football gives the BEA the Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Chicago DMAs.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:06 pm

looking more and more like it's Louisville, USF and quite possibly UCF for football and Marquette and Xavier for hoops. Cincy's poor graduation rates working against them, Xavier taps the Cincy market and ND delivers Chicago as much as DePaul.

Still leaves CUSA looking for a bandaid and still having to deal with the football/all sports vs bball memberships issues. Does Army stay? If so, do they hold at the 9 fball & 11 bball members who will remain? Or, do they seek 3 new all-sports members to go to 12/14 look?
Charleston Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:01 pm

USF and UCF... maybe. I'd expect to see UCF go first... it's a more established program and a more traditional university... on the other hand, USF is building a sports complex to bring football back on campus.. UCF is still playing in the "Citrus" Bowl and just joined the MAC.. not sure if they want to jump ship already. Yeah, they'd probably take both...Definitely agree about Louisville too.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football