PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best Possible Realistic Scenerio

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Best Possible Realistic Scenerio

Postby MustangKurt20 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:57 pm

I honestly feel like THE BEST situation for SMU (realistically) is for the BE to raid CUSA for three or four premium CUSA schools and have CUSA pick us up along w/ Rice and Tulsa. Then break the conference into an East/West divisional thing w/ a conference title game on ESPN for the winner of the divisions. That said, I would have very little problem w/ a reformed SWC and bringing in North Texas. To you people who are so anti UNT you really are being short sided and arrogant. The reason UNT doesn't draw well is b/c they don't play anyone of local interest. A series w/ TCU and SMU would garner a lot of Mean Green interest. My only problem w/ them is academically they have no business being in the same conference w/ the likes of Rice, SMU, Tulsa, or TCU. Thoughts?
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Re: Best Possible Realistic Scenerio

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:47 am

the "academic alignment" issue is probably one reason the SMU administration has avoided UNT as a conference mate for years, but that no longer flies. After all, we are conference mates with Fresno, aren't we? Closer to home, how is UNT any different from La Tech? We are talking about wanting to associate with Cincy, right? Besides, relatively speaking, Rice could shun SMU for the same reason.

Aside from the academics, SMU undoubtedly wants to align with schools who offer conference competition in the olympic sports, in which we excel. The WAC doesn't offer soccer, which in case anyone hasn't noticed, is the one sport SMU is known for on a national level.

I'm one that has no objection to aligning with UNT at this time, but whatever we do, it's important that we align with schools that are compatible and will create interest from SMU fans. Unfortunately, it's not going to be SMU's call. We will simply be waiting for an invite and hoping we're not the last one picked. The WAC has it's down side, but it's better than being left out.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:12 am

I really wouldn't want to be "short sided" Kurt. That sounds painful.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:20 am

Follow the money:

For any conference to be successful it must have a decent T.V. contract and some Bowl tie ins - the "new conference" needs a major T.V. market school - we don't add enough bodies to be really attractive, but we do add a demographic group that advertisers want, and great facilities - NTSU would just take up a spot in the conference that should go to another school that adds soemthing in the way of attendence or T.V. market We should focus on being one of the spot fillers - and we should do it alone - a package deal won't work because it will lower overall quality of the conference if we team with Tulsa and Rice.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football