PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU and MWC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU and MWC

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:30 pm

TCU fans really want to go to the MWC. MWC would probably also take Boise and 2 of UTEP, Nevada and Hawaii. In that case SMU almost has to form form a regional conference with remains of C-USA and EWAC?
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TCU and MWC

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:36 pm

Or we end up in Div. 1-AA after a passing membership in the Sunbelch Conference.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:40 pm

Thats why i have been saying we better swallow our pride and at least explore the MWC for ourselves or as package with TCU somehow. All bets our off, we cant hold a grudge. Look at the infighting in the ACC. Its not personal, its business. Forget Airport Al and the Gang of Five that is Ancient history now. SMU has to do whatever it takes to survive. That means pay entry fees, kiss a*s*s, make promises, whatever.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:43 pm

I personally think that the MWC option is a figment of TCU's imagination as I've not seen one quote or article suggesting that TCU is even under consideration. But it wouldn't hurt to check.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:44 pm

Schools from the WAC:
SMU
Tulsa
Rice
La Tech

Schools from C-USA:
USM
Houston
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UAB

Schools from MAC
Marshall
Toledo

Schools from SBC
UNT

That's a total of 13 schools for 9 or 12 spots depending on how large you want the conference to be.

My suggestion:

SMU (completely unbiased)
USM
Houston
Tulane
Tulsa
La Tech
Rice
Memphis
Cincy

to go to 12 add:
Marshall
UNT, UAB, Toledo (viewer's choice, 2 out of 3)
Nacho

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:50 pm

I like it Nacho, but Cincy and Memphis will go kicking and screaming to a Gulf league. Granted they might not have many options, but I would be shocked if Cincy didnt force and association with Marshall, Toledo and Miami of Ohio before most if not all of us EWACers. I hate to admit it, but TCU makes or breaks any regional league because they might be able to keep some of the stronger CUSA leftovers engaged.
Hoop Fan

Postby bhop » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:57 pm

I don't really get all the speculation that the MWC is looking at TCU and Hawaii. Wasn't a big reason the MWC schools left the WAC because of travel expenses and an unworkable geographic spread? If the MWC adds TCU and Hawaii, then they are right back in the same travel and geographic pickle they were in with the WAC. Plus, another reason they left the WAC was the proposed divisional alignment that split up BYU/Utah and Air Force/CSU. If the MWC adds TCU and Hawaii, and let's say Boise State and Nevada, and then keeps BYU/Utah and CSU/Air Force in the same division with, say Boise State and Nevada. Then there will be one division that makes geographic sense, and another division that is literally spread from Hawaii to Wyoming to North Texas. That just doesn't make sense. Why would they want to do that?
bhop
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:04 pm

TCU has been hot over the last 5 years. My feeling is that SMU is going to catch up with them very soon, like in the next couple of years. Those schools out west may soon tire of coming all the way to FW to play a team that is hovering around .5oo. I understand TCU's feeling but the truth is that they are not that far ahead of us in football. By Bartel's senior year things will have turned in SMU's favor. We are already better than TCU in basketball.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:15 pm

as we sit here today TCU is light-years ahead of us-your feelings and speculation about the future notwithstanding.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:26 pm

That's why they play the games. Tulane will beat TCU. TCU does have a weak nonconference schedule this year (except us) but light years? I don't think so. They've lost several key players, including their best players on offense and defense. Their recruitng last year was probably even with ours. Their football future and ours are about equal, assuming we recruit evenly with them from now on which I see no reason that we shouldn't.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:24 pm

well your entitled to your opinion but there remain several obstacles to SMU competing on an even basis with TCU.

Stallion

Postby JayM » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:29 pm

TCU sure prefers the MWC over the WAC.

<A HREF="http://www.killerfrogs.com/forums2/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=7676&s=5853ca5c169e8d9b66f54f8e5cd44a42" TARGET=_blank>http://www.killerfrogs.com/forums2/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=7676&s=5853ca5c169e8d9b66f54f8e5cd44a42</A>
JayM
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:35 pm

The TCU AD, Hyman, wants to stay in C-USA, all things being equal. He probably gets a pretty big vote. He stated yesterday on ESPN radio that the exposure in the CST and EST zones is much preferable. If they can I think they will stay with C-USA. If they think it works better for them in the MWC I wish them the best of luck.
Nacho

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:49 pm

I think it all depends on how many teams jump to the BE if that happens as to whether they will stay in CUSA. The MWC probably doesn't want TCU. It goes against everything that the MWC wanted when it broke off from the WAC. One time zone, control by the gang of five, and smallest number of teams. They may add one team to go to a 4/4 schedule or to buffer any defection, but if they do it will probably be BSU or Hawaii (BYU and Utah love Hawaii) not TCU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:53 pm

Re-doing CUSA is TCU's best option, as well as ours - we need to be positioning ourselves for that - we will have to climb the ladder in increments. Stallion is wrong on the light years thing however - TCU is ahead of us clearly, but three more years of Bennett's classes will even it out - we have some advantages of our own. My guess is Stallion's reference is to the JC admission issue.
gostangs

Next

Return to Football