PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nasty boys

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nasty boys

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:25 pm

This thing is getting worse by the day! I am beginning to seriously doubt if the ACC expansion will take place. FSU pack your bags and come on down!

Something big is going to happen but it's not going to be good news for the ACC which will one day be a trivia question on Jeopardy. Category, Extinct Football Conferences. Answer: What was the ACC?

Roll out those new scenarios and this time include FSU and Miami forming their own conference.

<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0612/1567209.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0612/1567209.html</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Nasty boys

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:38 am

This is fascinating stuff. I agree, Duke, UNC and UVA are playing with fire. Florida State and Miami are not gonna just tuck tail and go home. Nor should they. UNC and Duke telling Florida State to go to hell is kind of like Baylor and Kansas trying to veto UT and Nebraskas football plans. Aint gonna fly for very long.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:27 am

There's no question this whole episode could be extremely damaging to the ACC if they are not able to follow through and make expansion happen.

I personally like the Fla St to SEC, Ark to Big XII and Baylor "out" scenario. Gives me hope for the SWC to rise from the ashes and see Baylor reunited with SMU, TCU, Rice & Houston. Add Tulsa, La Tech, Tulane and yes, even UNT this time. That makes for a nice little group of public/privates that would be very competitive...althogh it would be best known for quality baseball (anyone got the $$$ to fund baseball/softball at SMU?). Do we even have the land on which to build a baseball/softball comlex? Boy, if I only had a spare billion, we'd be buying/razing homes in the area!
Charleston Pony

Postby methodistmustang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>There's no question this whole episode could be extremely damaging to the ACC if they are not able to follow through and make expansion happen.

I personally like the Fla St to SEC, Ark to Big XII and Baylor "out" scenario. Gives me hope for the SWC to rise from the ashes and see Baylor reunited with SMU, TCU, Rice & Houston. Add Tulsa, La Tech, Tulane and yes, even UNT this time. That makes for a nice little group of public/privates that would be very competitive...althogh it would be best known for quality baseball (anyone got the $$$ to fund baseball/softball at SMU?). Do we even have the land on which to build a baseball/softball comlex? Boy, if I only had a spare billion, we'd be buying/razing homes in the area!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charleston,

I'd do just about anything for that scenario. That's my dream conference right now.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby EmeraldCityPony » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:29 am

Keep dreaming - Arkansas will never leave the richest conference in the nation
It's a crappy job but someone's gotta do it.
EmeraldCityPony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:32 am

Arkansas might jump on the opportunity to be aligned with Texas and Okla schools rather than the SEC, where they have strugled to develop rivalries. The SEC east schools talk about how Arkansas is just "too far". Thes people like to drive their RVs to away games and Arkansas just isn't a great fit. Besides, revenue sharing in the Big XII ain't far behind the SEC.
Charleston Pony

Postby EmeraldCityPony » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:55 am

1) Who are the people that say Arkansas is "too far"? Kentucky, Louisiana, and Florida are all just as "far" from the 'center' of the SEC. All the members of the SEC reside in adjacent states (unlike some conferences I know)

2) The rivalry argument is a non-issue. Since when are conferences built/rebuilt on rivalries anymore?
It's a crappy job but someone's gotta do it.
EmeraldCityPony
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:07 pm

Lemme just say something.. BCS. There's a big push to create a new conference or re-align a conference to include some of the old SWC rivalries right now. If we can't compete with the big boys, we might as well tinker with the idea of playing football in a conference that attracts a larger fan base that doesn't have to travel far for conference games (i.e. a fan base that travels well). Trust me, the #1 priority for a lot of mid major conference and school presidents are keeping travel costs DOWN.

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 06-15-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football