PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It will take a Div. 1-A playoff to breakup BCS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It will take a Div. 1-A playoff to breakup BCS

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:29 pm

The only hope of the non-BCS schools for surviving their BCS lockout from the BIG BOWLS and TV money is to pursue a Div. 1-A playoff. The public will understand this issue perfectly well because they want to see a playoff. The NCAA is in an untenable position regarding football playoffs. The non-BCS schols might not even have to sue over this matter, but should be prepared to force the issue once and for all. Otherwise Don Meredith might as well croon our theme song one more time -"The party's over,...."
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: It will take a Div. 1-A playoff to breakup BCS

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:01 am

Look to the Div.1-AA schools to see how playoffs should be done...and done right!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: It will take a Div. 1-A playoff to breakup BCS

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:16 am

I think the BCS is headed that direction, and this summer's fiascos and the threat of anti-trust litigation will cause them to make some changes. There is already talk of ading a championship game after the 1st 4 games are played (to help identify the stongest two teams). In those discussions, there was talk of guaranteeing a spot to the highest qualifying non-BCS conference winner.

I'd prefer a more inclusive 16 team playoff and it would be easy to do. Just state the rule that in order to get an automatic bid, you must be champion of a 12-14 member league. That would result in everyone partnering up regionally and there would probably be 9 qualifying leagues. That leaves 7 at large bids that would be taken by the current BCS conferences and Notre Dame, very much like the bball tourney is run today. That would be fair, it would give everyone an opportunity, and more than likely the non-BCS teams would be 1st round losers...but take home a more reasonable share of the BCS pie.

The current BCS, with only 8 participants, is difficult to manage. Realistically, an unbeaten BYU or Boise or TCU is NOT as deserving as the runner up in the Big XII or SEC. The 16 team tourney is the way to go and I've got to believe we will eventually see that happen, but probably not with the next BCS contract.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football