PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Gutted Con-USA

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Gutted Con-USA

Postby leopold » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:39 pm

It increasing appears as though C-USA will lose at least two if not three teams to the Big East. Also, UAB is in bigger trouble than Tulane - big financial problems for a team that has no history, worse attendence (about 18,000 a game) and is the third school in a state that has as many people as the DFW metroplex. If UAB is forced to go to D-AA or II you will not see the emotional outporing you saw at Tulane. Army is even rumored to be looking to leave. If Cincy and/or ECU go to the BE, they will be isolated.
In any case, C-USA could be looking for 3 to 4 new members very soon. Potential members would include us, Marshall, Rice, Tulsa, maybe Temple and La Tech. We would matchup well with that crowd. And while it isn't the BCS, I could stand the prospect of competing with TCU, Houston, Tulane, Memphis, and possibly Rice or Tulsa for going to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Gutted Con-USA

Postby Ksig_Stang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:23 am

Not only that, but C-USA does have 5 bowl games ... most of which are much closer than the WAC's Humanitarian, Hawaii, and Silicon Valley Classic.

New Orleans Bowl, Ft. Worth Bowl, GMAC in Mobile, Liberty in Memphis, and then the far-fetched Hawaii Bowl.
Ksig_Stang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:59 am

UAB would fit nicely into the Southland Conference football schedule with Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin State, Southwest Texas State (Texas State), McNeese State, Northwestern State and Nicholls State, if an opportunity ever presented itself. Other Southland Conference schools (non-football) are Lamar, Louisiana-Monroe, Southeastern Louisiana, UT-Arlington and UT-San Antonio.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:14 am

"New Orleans Bowl, Ft. Worth Bowl, GMAC in Mobile, Liberty in Memphis, and then the far-fetched Hawaii Bowl."

The longest drive there is what - 8 hours? I say we join C-USA, and Bennett recruits and coaches us to a bowl game. ROAD TRIP!
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Ksig_Stang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dement-ed:
<B>The longest drive there is what - 8 hours? I say we join C-USA, and Bennett recruits and coaches us to a bowl game. ROAD TRIP!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly ... the bowls we have now are way too far away. Hawaii costs way too much to get a good crowd to. Who the hell wants to go to Idaho? And the Silicon Valley Classic is forever-and-a-day away, too.

Let's go to C-USA ...
Ksig_Stang

Postby Nacho » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:44 pm

I'm with you. Where do we sign up?
Nacho

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:13 pm

Mail it in. I'm ready!
Bergermeister

Postby OldPony » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:02 pm

I would like to go to Idaho to see the Ponies in the H Bowl. Hell, I'll go anywhere to see that.
I'll sure miss the torrid rivalry against San Jose St and UTEP should the change occur though. I mean what is football if you can't play SJSU.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:03 pm

I think we have a very realistic shot with C-USA. TCU and Houston aren't bolting anywhere and niether is Memphis or Cincy. I would think Army would stick around too.. or at least wait and see who the new members will be. Karl Benson has to be shaking in his shoes right now. The WAC is going to have to take some drastic measures to save itself after this shakeup occurs.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football