PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Name SMU's Collegiate Allies

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Name SMU's Collegiate Allies

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:57 am

Does SMU have a legitimate collegiate ally?

During this time of likely changes and certain uncertainty within the D1 conferences, I began to wonder if SMU has a genuine friend...another university that really believes that its *good* athletic fortune is linked to SMU's *good* athletic fortune. A relationship that goes far beyond seeing SMU as part of a group of schools huddling together (disguised as a conference) but seeking individual survival.

Nationally, alliances (much more complex than rivalries) exist for numerous reasons including but not limited to: legislative pressure-Texas and Texas A&M; tradition-WF,UNC, Duke and NCSU; historical-Navy and Notre Dame.

I believe that Dr. Turner and Mr. Copeland are working to put SMU in the best possible position if/when realignment occurs. They must be looking for allies. Consider my question from an institutional (strategic objective) perspective, not individual agendas (well-intentioned UNT fans come to mind, influential SMU alumni/supporters, etc.). I don't believe that TCU our neighbor and historical rival is an ally.

Does one exist?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re: Name SMU's Collegiate Allies

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:05 am

Excellent question! My response is: no. However, I don't think SMU has ever had an 'ally'...even back in the ol' SWC days. Anyone else want to weigh in on this question?

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:54 am

SMU does not have an ally because of our pathetic performance on the field over the last 15 years. PERIOD.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MeanGreenGem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:33 am

STALLION/SMU! WE LOVE YOU MAN! (Now where's the beer)?!?!?

I do think TCU has unfortunately sold out years of history with SMU over all this greed and "ME FIRST" business going on out there. I thought that about them once they went to CUSA after talking to some of those Horned Frogs as I do work in Fort Worth. Some of them will deny it but actions are proving otherwise. What we ALL need to realize is that arrogance and pride does have its own special kind of reward.

I hope all this going on in the NCAA is not a microcosm of things to come (or continue?) in our society as a whole never minding all this athletic business.

Mustangers, all of us must realize whether we love or dislike each other, that all this is still just merely the toy section of the department store of life we're dealing with here. Really, we should not get so worked up about it although sometimes we do too many times. I do even on our own board from time to time.

Now back to the imporant part: The beer?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> SMU does not have an ally because of our pathetic performance on the field over the last 15 years. PERIOD.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-13-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:15 am

I think that Rice was our ally until we joined with TCU to leave the WAC for CUSA, now I'm not so sure. That goes for the rest of the WAC especially when we vetoed USU joining the WAC. TCU was our ally until visions of greatness clouded their vision. On the other hand, there may be some quiet allies our there via Copeland and Turner. I would not be surprised to see some ACC allies given Copeland's long tenure there. Wake Forest comes to mind. I would also not be surprised to see some SEC allies given Turner's ties from Ole Miss. Even though Texas Tech followed the money, they have been very happy to renew old rivalries in football and basketball when they didn't have to do so. The problem is that all those allies do nothing for us at this point vis-a-vis, mid-major conference affiliations. In that regard, our flirtations over the years with CUSA, our pitiful football program since 1990, and our bad boy reputation from the '80's have hurt us. We are not the prettiest girl at the dance anymore. More like the slightly old actress that used to be hot. You might go out with her just to say you went out with her, but you wouldn't want to wake up next too her every morning.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby methodistmustang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:07 am

Although we do not have a legitimate ally, there are many potential allies. Houston would love to be paired with us. Just go to their fan site and see. Also, as much as some of you seem to hate it, UNT would love to be our ally. Although those football programs aren't exactly the caliber we're looking for, being paired with them would benefit all three schools. TCU has got the big head at the moment and we can forget them trying to get in a conference with us. If we make the right move I think Rice could be back with us real quick. And let's not forget that Tulsa would ride our coattail's anytime. I think LaTech could be an ally if we make the right moves. Do I like being compared to these schools? No. Do I think all of them could get fans to games? Yes. What is the best basketball game to go to at Moody besides TCU? Tulsa or Rice. What football team would bring the most fans to Moody? I think UNT given the crowd that showed up at Amon G. Carter last year.

Just a thought.

------------------
SMU-THE University of Texas
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:15 am

Does any school really have an ally. If they do it is only in the sense that it helps one or both of them monetarily. As an example Miami was BCs ally simply because they wanted the Boston TV market. In the end it's every man for himself. Alliances can be formed but they are easily broken when other considerations take precedence.
Nacho

Postby PK » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:36 am

It all reminds me of the board game "Risk". Each player is trying to take over the world and along the way alliances are made to fight the other players...but at some point each player must lookout for himself and allies become enemies, as only one player can win the game. It's a good game to play to better understand the real world.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby DiamondM » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:46 pm

I used to think that TCU was our ally. I rooted for them in out of conference and even conference games. But all that has changed. TCU, since their jump to CONFUSA, has acted like snotty neuveau riche that has forgotten where they come from and how quickly they could be back. They don't know what to do with their new found fortune, which I otherwise would have cheered, except rub it in our face. I would be happy if TCU were wiped from the face of college athletics. I want them to lose EVERY game. I take delight in [deleted] poor seasons (like last year's basketball). My one hope for this realignment is not that we necessarily better our position, since (although it would be nice) it's not all that realistic, but that TCU has to eat crap and be in the same conference/position we are in, whatever it may be.

I think we can't really claim Rice as an ally, since to some degree, we have done (or tried to do) to Rice something akin to what TCU has done. Rice can't really trust us anymore than we can trust TCU.

I do think we need an ally though. I think the best bet is Tulsa. Yeah, their football sucks more than ours and they don't even have an excuse, but it is a well respected and attractive athletic program because of their basketball team's historical and continued success (as well as its loyal and numerous supporters). We need them as our friend for this reason, and because of our market and our (at the very least) potential for better football results, I think they need us too. That's the only ally I really see as possible at this point in time. It would be great to cultivate relationships with smaller private schools in BCS conferences, but I don't think that will happen. They know how fortunate they are to be in with the big boys, even if they're losing to the big boys. And they're not about to screw that up by forming allegiances with have-nots.

Ultimately, I think PX is right though. As much as it goes against my nature and as much as I wish we could form true alliances, the landscape of college athletics is a game of Risk, or in more recent pop culture terms, Survivor. You may form allegiances, but they are only to further your own ends. Ultimately, if you want the million dollar prize, you have to be willing to screw even your friends, and hope that they understand that they would have had to do the same to you, so it's nothing personal. I hate that this is the reality of college athletics today.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:15 pm

Nobody has true allies. Anytime a school allies itself with another school, it's simply to attain a common goal. We joined with TCU to get into C-USA.. and look what happened.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Green Menace » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:19 am

Oh puleese! You Pony boys having a hard time understanding why you do not have an allie? You don't think it happens to be our "better than thou", arrogant [deleted] attitudes towards to the rest of the collegiate world? Do you?

You people live in the past. Drop down a couple of notches, be humble for a change and you might find people could become your allies.
Green Menace

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:38 am

Must have been $1.00 pitcher night in Denton tonite. The Denton drunks are posting on our board again.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby MeanGreenGem » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:56 am

There are some who post on this board under the guise as being UNT fans/alums that I personally don't recognize the IP's or have seen those IP's on our board many times. Do keep that in mind.

I know for a fact there is one WAC school in particular that does this often under the guise of UNT alums and their IP's seem to aways be located in a certain part of Louisiana. Hmmmm? Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Green Menace:
<B>Oh puleese! You Pony boys having a hard time understanding why you do not have an allie? You don't think it happens to be our "better than thou", arrogant [deleted] attitudes towards to the rest of the collegiate world? Do you?

You people live in the past. Drop down a couple of notches, be humble for a change and you might find people could become your allies.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-14-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:57 pm

"Paranoia Will Destroy Ya"!!!! Maybe its part of a vast conspiracy!!!!!!!!!
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NORMLFROG » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:44 pm

Dear Diamond M-

Sorry you have your panties in a wad but this is a dog eat dog world and all of us "have-nots" are wearing milk bone underwear(credit to Norm from Cheers) and we have no choice but to look out for #1. I'm sorry for what the NCAA did to SMU. I'm sorry that many in the administration and on the faculty at SMU have hamstrung you guys. Is that TCU's fault? No. Snotty? Hmmmmm. I remember when the shoe was on the other foot. Remember those clever SMU shirts, "We're not snobs, we're just better than you." or the one that said, "TCU, the SMU junior college." Boy, I bet some genius stayed up all night creating those. Shouldn't you vent your frustration at your administration? Hell, we're living proof that you can turn "chicken-****" into "chicken salad" and if it can be done at TCU it can be done on the Hilltop. Your restrictive admissions/recruiting had resulted in a pretty solid graduation rate for your FB team according to the new AMerican Football COaches Assn. rankings. 70%. Congrats! and I mean that. But you know who else was in the at least 70% club? TCU. SO for all our jucos,thugs and morons that we brought in just to help us win games we were able to have a pretty solid graduation rate as well. It can be done. SMU doesn't have to abandon its mission to field a competitive squad. Anyway, you can hate on me all you want but I'll cheer for the Mustangs this fall. I'll even come to some games and break bread with Professor X, BUS and FW DAD.

Peace, Love and Billy Klemstein-

NORMLFROG
Mike Tranghese can suck it!
NORMLFROG

Next

Return to Football