PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CUSA and other boards

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CUSA and other boards

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:45 pm

I spent a good 2 hrs reading the C-USA board as well as the Houston, TCU, and Southern Miss boards. I am shocked at how they view SMU. NO ONE seems to want us in C-USA. There are a few smart posters that understand the benefits of having a presence in both the Ft. Worth and Dallas markets. But wow.. yeah C-USA apparently would rather have La Tech, Rice, or some MAC teams. No love on that TCU board either.. they're even talking about going independent or joining the MWC? LoL.. they certainly have gotten big heads. We're really going to have to turn this FB program around quickly in order to get some respect. *Sigh* ...
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Re: CUSA and other boards

Postby Stallion » Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:12 am

I don't know what threads you were looking at but the vast majority of posters on the CUSA board included SMU in the so-called Gulf Coast League. Go back and look a couple of TCU posters dju13 and BuckinFrog just posted negative posts 3-4 times each. They just don't want to let a sleeping dog like SMU have a shot-the Presidents are not likely to agree with that type of rational. SMU got mentioned by UH, TCU, Southern Miss and Memphis fans just off the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 06-14-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Fan » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:47 am

As bad as we have been, I honestly believe the smarter people in CUSA, including the toads, would want us in their league. As much as the TCU people are pounding their chest, they have been the benficiary of us apparently NOT wanting to win over the last 15 years (restrictions, etc.). Bennett is not going to stand for being second best, I honestly believe Turner wants to be "bigger time" (vs. "big time", which I personally don't think is realistic at this point in our history) and if we can get the "right people" working on this, we can make it happen. I personally think this is a turning point in SMU athletics and if we screw this one up like we historically have, then I am afraid we will see the beginning of the end of Division I-A at the Hilltop. SMU fans in general are fair weather fans and if we can have some success on the field, play some schools that our people would have an interest in watching, they will come back. Playing Hawaii, San Jose and Nevada ain't it.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:25 pm

Agreed...and without better competition, a better TV package, and better access to bowls, it could be the beginning of the end for D 1-A at SMU. I'm all for C-USA.

To answer Stallion.. it just seems like everyone is reluctant to take us in, especially the TCU board. I've seem the whole GCC idea.. but that's not going to happen. C-USA will stay intact.

What I meant to add to my earlier post is that I'm glad those people aren't the people in charge of the school and conference administrations.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:34 pm

you are right the football side of CUSA is just the Gulf Coast Conference with Cinncinati staying and Army voluntarily leaving as many suggest they would want to do. The remaining members aren't going to walk away from the large number of NCAA BB Tourney units or other league revenue. I really don't even like the name Gulf Coast conference-someone suggested The Conference of the South which at first hit me wrong just like The Ballpark in Arlington but its beginning to grow on me although it probably wouldn't be appropriate with Cincy and some of the BB teams staying.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:05 pm

Personally, I think they want an all sports league.... excluding only baseball perhaps?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football