PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sporting News has picked us

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sporting News has picked us

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:50 am

as the number 7 team in the WAC and has us ranked #100 in the country. At least we are ahead of Rice, Tulsa and UTEP in our conference.
Keylon Kinkaid gets props as the "most overrated player" in the conference as they state that given that he had 327 carries last year, it was one of the ugliest 1300 yard seasons ever. We did have the #1 recruiting class in our conference.
Their bottom line for the year;
"Thanks to the best recruiting class in ages, there is a buzz surrounding the program. Unfortunately for SMU, the impact won't be instantaneous. In the meantime, the Mustangs will go only as far as Bartel and Kinkaid can carry them. If healthy, running back ShanDerrick Charles adds big play ability."
As for our schedule, it is #6 in our conference and the 98th toughest in the country.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sporting News has picked us

Postby Stallion » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:54 pm

I think Phil Steele has us 8th. I haven't seen one yet which has us ranked better than 100th out of 117 teams.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyFan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:58 pm

Hey Stallion, what do you think of Phil Steele's mag? I read it over the weekend, and he's another who seems to write months-old information. (I realize he can't cover every school in person, but a quick call/e-mail to the athletic department would let him know when players leave, etc.) I mean, it's understandable that he has Daniel Francis penciled in as a starting WR -- I gather he left the team rather recently. But he had Darrin Johnson listed at OT, and he's been lining up at DT since the beginning of spring ball in March.

Maybe it's his page design -- something makes PS's mag hard to read. Lot of information, though.

Just curious about your impressions.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:36 pm

most all of these magazines are written from the exact same Sports Information Department prospectuses put out by the schools. These days I really just read the predictions and selected stories at the newstands. Texas Football is the only one I think that is worth the money.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Pony Up » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:25 pm

The Dave Campbell rag? It's good for updates on HS players and little else.

[This message has been edited by Pony Up (edited 06-15-2003).]
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:03 pm

well they have accurately predicted SMU at the bottom of the barrell for about 15 years in both the standings and the recruiting rankings.

Stallion

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:39 pm

Agreed... how can all of you expect us to be ranked any higher when we don't yet deserve to be?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby crazy horse » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:28 pm

Hey I'm a big fan of Steele and have been for several years. You have to understand lead times in putting together 2-page profiles of 117 teams plus analysis and predictions. There is probably 3-6 months work put into that one magazine. The fact that a player leaves the team in May certainly will not get mentioned in any preseason publication. At the end of the magazine he does cover spring game happenings and last minute changes, but not every school and not in as much depth as I would like. I expect some things to miss because of deadlines.

I don't buy it for the predictions. I read it for the data and analysis on our opponents. He does a good job of breaking down the teams in ways that none of the other rags do. I also like the fact that for the most part, he is objective. That's a far cry from Sporting News, Lindys and Athlons. If you've read the SMU media info - why bother reading Athlons, Lindy's etc -- They copy it almost word for word.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Return to Football