PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Just say NO to SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Just say NO to SMU

Postby JayM » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:57 pm

From the Froggie board.

<A HREF="http://www.killerfrogs.com/forums2/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=7787&s=97ce8460a61d833d8bf8164b27a951d6" TARGET=_blank>http://www.killerfrogs.com/forums2/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=7787&s=97ce8460a61d833d8bf8164b27a951d6</A>
JayM
Scout Team

Re: Just say NO to SMU

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:32 pm

I want to reiterate this.. thank god these aren't the people in charge.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:51 pm

Amen, UNF - what a moron. He said we haven't accomplished anything in the last five years in football or basketball? I guess he wasn't at Moody last year, or maybe he conveniently forgot the Ponies beating Frogs. It's easier to sound tough when you ignore factual information.

He also talked about our record in recent years. Sure, we've struggled, although many of us see a bright future at SMU. Does he have a point? Sure, our records haven't been what we would like. But he doesn't want to share conference revenues with SMU? How many years did TCU survive financially off the Southwest Conference when they were the conference's doormat? A whole lot longer than we have.

Ditto to UNF - thank god they're not in charge of anything important.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby crazy horse » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:13 pm

These types of posts/rantings are not the majority opinion of TCU fans or their administration. There are far too many positives to us being in the same conference to outweigh any perceived disadvantages.

Hey, I applaud what TCU has accomplished and fully expect this series to be very exciting in the coming years.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:46 pm

SMU wanting parity with TCU in the C-USA sounds like UNT wanting parity with SMU in the WAC. Everybody wants better, but nobody owes anybody anything. SMU is on the outside hoping to come in out of the cold. Unless we are in the BCS, it doesn't matter what mid-level conference claims us. We are just stuck out.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:46 pm

Some positive voices on that board now...

"I for one would love to be a conference affiliate with SMU. I look forward to that game more than any other year after year. A victory over the ponies is complete satisfaction for me, the rivalry is historic and the games are hard fought. Bennett has them going in the right direction and maybe in the next decade they'll be at our level. Until then, it remains a complete joy for me to see us play them every year.

I hope it never ends.... "

And,

"The reason we should want SMU in the same conference is simple. SMU did not betray TCU or vice versa. When the SWC broke up we were all in the same boat. TCU left the WAC after it became unworkable and lobbied for SMU to be invited from what I understand. SMU is down but who cares they are still our most natural rival and a small private Texas school. We should cheer for each other except when we play each other. I hope to SMU and TCU are united at some point in the near future along with Rice and Houston. Remember to be better than the ones we criticize we must treat others better."

As far as what Sam I Am said... I don't see how TCU is that far ahead of us, and I don't see the analogy between UNT and SMU as fitting. SMU dominates TCU in many other sports, including basketball this year. UNT on the other hand, has a good football program, yet we haven't played them, nor do we play them in many other sports. TCU has always been our natural rival and a good relationship between both schools is important for both of us to succeed.

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 06-15-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:35 pm

Amen - to UNF'06 and to the two TCU posters he quoted. The schools do need to develop a healthy, competitive, meaningful rivalry that will add importance to the games which recently have meant little. Getting into the same conference would benefit both schools.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby True Colors » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:46 am

Actually, most of the TCU posters on that board seriously do consider their athletic program to be on par with that of OU, UT or Florida.

It truly boggles the mind. Just six short years ago they were 1-10 in football.

Until Dennis Franchione came along and pulled them out of the abyss, they had been one of the worst FB programs in the entire country for forty years running. They were a huge drag on the SWC for decades on end.

They have no real basketball or baseball history to speak of, and certainly nothing close to a powerhouse in those sports these days.

Things can change very quickly. Five or six years from now, SMU might be in the national rankings, and TCU might be back to their losing ways that had been their trademark for so long.

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:56 am

God willing. These people are morons.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:33 pm

I keep wondering why everyone seems to have Houston on their list. Am I missing something? Does Houston even have as good of suport as Rice in Houston?
Some of the TCU posters made sense, just like some do on this board. TCU is a natural rival- whether in the same conference or not. Rice is a natural. Houston? Tulsa has become a basketball rival. Tulane could become a rival quickly. All that said, it is likely that none of the aforementioned will be in a BCS conference for the next 5 years. The real emphasis should probably be legal from schools lie BYU, Tulane, Marshall etc who have had records which probably should have rated one of the top 4-5 bowls but since the forming of the BCS were excluded.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:34 pm

UNF, as for your moron comment, I resent that. But how do you consider an OT victory in basketball this year "domintaing?" Just curious. Now I for one would like to see you guys succeed, but how can you honestly say that TCU is not that far ahead of you? I mean be realistic. I'm all for positive thinking and loyalty to school, but come on. Five straight bowl games, Top 25, Conference championship. How is that not "that far" ahead of sub-500 seasons? Gimme a break.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:03 pm

I wasn't calling you Froggies morons for being successful. Read the damn posts.

You're all insane for thinking that SMU has nothing to offer in a conference re-alignment scenario. You all have put so much time and money into the revenue sports that now soccer has to be knocked down to a club sport. Once football picks back up for SMU, we'll have a much more profitable athletic program than TCU does.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:16 pm

Just for the benefit of those who did not read entirely through the thread on the TCU board, the vast majority of the posts where positive toward SMU and TCU being in the same conference, and that they expected us to be much better in football because of Bennett. Most of the negative vibes came from one idiot that started the thread.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:43 pm

I did mention this.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:01 pm

UNF, while your panties are in a bunch I will mention that I never said you called us morons for being successful. I said I resent the comment period. I then went on to clearly explain that your statement that we weren't "that far ahead" of you was incorrect. And I never said that I didnt want SMU in our conference. So maybe you should "read my "damn" post."
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football