PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New article from SportsLaw

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New article from SportsLaw

Postby Webmaster » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:49 pm

PonyFans,

SportsLaw has just turned in his latest assignment, a commentary on the legal aspects of the Big East Conference breakup and the potential conference realignments. Very interesting read.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: New article from SportsLaw

Postby Hilltopper » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:08 pm

That's a terrific piece. He does a nice job of breaking down the legal side of that mess.
Keep up the great work.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:09 pm

I think that the U Conn claim gets really watered down because it let out the contracts on that stadium in 1999 and Shalala's alleged comments occurred in 2002/2003. Va. Tech's claim about promises made for its stadium expansion really goes down the tubes because last year they sold out every game (even the Marshall game). So, these alleged damages are very tenuous. I saw a post somewhere (maybe on the WAC board) with the pleadings, they make for really interesting reading. But you are right, it has gotten personal which means in my mind that no way Miami or BC come back to the Big East.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:14 pm

I read somewhere that Cuse is acting as a "mole" in the whole thing, feeding info to the BE. Wouldn't surprise me since they, of the 3, aren't beig sued. Very cloak and dagger stuff. Will one day make a great book.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:16 pm

Somehow that wouldn't surprise me about Syracuse, Nacho. I always thought Boeheim was a sniveling little weasel. I cringed when the media slobbered all over him after they won this year.

(Although I was able to take some solace in the fact that Roy Williams continued his career-long streak of winning exactly nothing. That's helped.)
Fresh
Varsity

Postby Corso » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:10 pm

Regardless of how this all breaks down in the end, SportsLaw's column is a very interesting read. Thanks for joining the site. Good move by the webguys to add this guy.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Sports Law » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:14 pm

Thanks to all for the kind comments. No official word yet on what came out of the ACC's conference call today. But there's lots of talk about UVA not casting the deciding vote, which raises the heat on Duke and UNC to make this happen (if it does). It will be interesting to see how all this plays out - and where all the dominos fall.

Ooops...yes...I mean Virginia!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corso:
<B>Regardless of how this all breaks down in the end, SportsLaw's column is a very interesting read. Thanks for joining the site. Good move by the webguys to add this guy.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Sports Law (edited 06-18-2003).]
Sports Law

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:17 pm

VT? That's Virginia Tech .... of the Big East.
You mean Virginia, right?
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby OldPony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:17 pm

Fresh- You must not think very highly of Big 12. Williams has won Nothing? No national championships but Nothing? I hope we never have such a loser that takes us to the FF 4 times in 14 years.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Fresh » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:54 pm

Maybe you're right, OldPony. Or actually, you've simply uncovered one of my biases. I don't think poorly of the Big 12 overall as a conference, or even of Kansas as a school or basketball program. I just dislike Roy Williams, and have cringed every time the media slobbers all over him about what a great guy he is, how he deserves a championship, etc. Years ago, KU came to Moody and beat up on SMU. I was in the stands with some friends, and one of my buddies leaned over the railing and yelled "Dean Smith wouldn't have run up a score like that" (or something like that, letting Williams know he's no Dean Smith.) While I didn't exactly agree with my friend's way of getting his message across, I was even more unimpressed with Williams' response, which was a stream of obsceneties that would make a trucker blush. His reponse forever proved to me that he is not the clean-cut good guy he's usually portrayed as in the media.

With that said, his record is good. Very good. But when you can trot out a team of All-Americas, shouldn't you win the national title at least once? That team with Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrenz, Scot Pollard, Jacque Vaughn, etc., should have rolled to the title. With ease. And he's had countless other teams with the talent to win it, if not roll to it. And I don't foresee him outrecruiting or outcoaching Coach K or Gary Williams or even Virginia (I forget the coach's name, but word is he's loading up a sensational team) during his stay in Chapel Hill.

Sorry about the rush to judgement there. Thanks for catching me, OldPony! Shouldn't condemn the whole conference because of my opinion of one guy.
Fresh
Varsity

Return to Football