PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Policies

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Policies

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Apr 25, 2000 11:05 pm

It has been brought to my attention that SMU has certain rules on recruiting that no other schools have. IMHO, the presence of these rules will ail SMU, until they are lifted.

To my understanding, these are the rules:

A recruit may not make an official athletics visit until they have been admitted to the school (or at least have submitted an application and have eligible test scores)

Also, several majors have been deleted from SMU, including Sports Management, Kinesiology (sp), and Criminal Justice. Nothing against the quality of the school, but all it has to really offer to athletes is the business school. These majors are legitimate, and appeal to athletes; it does not hurt the school to appeal to this group.

These are the Results:

These sanctions or actions deter an athlete from coming to SMU. Why does a player want to waste there time applying early, when no other schools enforce these codes.

Yes, SMU made some huge mistakes in the 80's, and thing should change, but I believe too drastic of actions were taken.

Athletics helps promote schools. It seems as though SMU athletics is having to battle with academics to keep up with NCAA D-IA sports. Rice, Stanford, and Duke do not have any policies similar to these, to the best of my knowledge.

If we can appeal more to high school athletes, then we get better recruits. Better recruits means better teams, which means better records, which means an awesome atmosphere for students. I know that when I visit other schools, going to athletic events is a huge part of their social scene. This brings students, promotion toward the school, and revenue.

The administration needs to wake up and realize that athletics helps the school.

Pretty big words, huh?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: SMU Policies

Postby ponyjim » Tue Apr 25, 2000 11:14 pm

furthermore, Rice, Stanford and Duke are known to be better academic schools than SMU.

by this reasoning, it would seem intuitive that those schools would be more likely to have the "acceptance-first" standards that SMU has. After all, why would Stanford, Rice and Duke waste their time with an athlete that would have no chance at passing school? Geez, this kinda stuff makes me angry...

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Postby MustangMom » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:07 am

I think that SMU should rethink their policy about not talking to a recruit until after they have been accepted. This puts SMU athletics at a real disadvantage. I feel that athletes should have the same standards as other SMU students, but they should be recruited early, just like other schools. If they don't measure up academic wise, then they can't come to SMU.

I also agree that several degrees should be added. Other fine schools have these degrees.

SMU obviously wants to increase attendance and spirit for football games, otherwise they would not have raised the money for a new stadium on campus (which will be wonderful!). They need to untie the hands of the coaches and let them recruit on par with other schools in the conference. We can have stronger teams, with more depth and the athletes can still meet entrance requirements.

I am totally against any violations of the NCAA rules. After SMU received the death penalty, it seems that the pendulum swung too far in the other direction. We need a happy medium!

------------------
Go Ponies!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:23 am

Without saying anything directly on the subject, I think Coach Cavan is a <B>great</B> coach and if he had all the advantages with regards to recruiting as most of the other schools, we would be a perennial WAC powerhouse.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

[This message has been edited by PonyFanMan (edited 04-25-2000).]

Postby Joyous » Wed Apr 26, 2000 9:43 am

This issue has been debated numerous times on the MM board. It is a great handicap for SMU. It is true - you can not go for a visit until you have been admitted. I did not know about the major's that had been deleted.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby BUS » Wed Apr 26, 2000 9:48 am

Yes, I too believe that Cavan is a good coach and that SMU has tied one hand around the recruiter back. Dr. Turner has been working to bring SMU back and we all see the progress being made.
The SMU Faculty Senate is the key to turning things around even more. Dr. Turner does not have total power, not should he. Think of the Faculty Senate like the Supreme Court. Right now we have a Dr. Pye appointed system that is very restrictive on athletics and given the situation that Pye found SMU - deservedly so. Dr. Turner has placed a few new seats on this senate panel and will continue but for us fans, the sooner the better.
Dr. Turner will never hurt SMU and be a cheerleader as I see Dr. shields of the early 80's. Dr. Turner though, does want SMU athletics to have a fair shot at competing for championships. We just have to do it with REAL students.
Guess what folks.... I am a Physical Education major from SMU. I seem to represent my school well. Rice has a totally separate school for athletes.

I am starting to ramble so I will close by saying, write and call Dr. Turner to let him know that we do not agree with the visitation policies and remember. Did you marry every person you brought home to meet your parents?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby D » Wed Apr 26, 2000 10:52 am

Would definitely be nice to see them drop the acceptance requirement. The coaches should be able to use their discretion regarding which players they think can probably get in and then bring them to the school and sell them on it before any admissions process takes place.
I don't think that the school is going to budge on the majors offered problem. Last year a sizeable donation and significant resources were offered in exchange for starting a new major on campus. This major was declared not worthy for SMU and plans were scrapped.
D
Varsity

Postby 91Stang » Wed Apr 26, 2000 11:16 am

I agree with a lot of what's been said, especially the comments from the great BUS. We do need to call and write Dr. Turner. Nobody is suggesting that we should start admitting athletes who can't spell SMU, but to say they can't visit until they're accepted leaves us starting with a pool of players from which to choose that consists only of players who have been passed over by other schools. With our current policy, we will NEVER compete for the top prospects, the guys who often commit to a school right after attending camp at a campus. The Cory Redding-type marquee recruits will be committed elsewhere, because it is damn hard for an 18-year-old to stand his ground under the barrage of "commit now" pressure he faces when being recruited by many of the nation's top programs.

As for the dropped majors, there is not a proud Mustang anywhere who thinks we should add "general studies" or "underdraduate studies" ... the kind of majors that are seen at many of the football-factory state powers across the country. But there clearly is room to diversify the scope of majors to make the options a little more wide-spread.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby MustangMan » Wed Apr 26, 2000 11:19 am

I frequently run into my favorite former professor from SMU, after we both get out of work. Every conversation we have includes me asking him about how school's going, if his students are driving him nuts, etc., and then i always get around to something about the previous weekend's football, basketball or soccer game.

His response always is the same: "I didn't go, and I don't care. You know I'm anti-SMU athletics."

This professor is on the Faculty Senate.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:09 pm

Mustangman - That is a shame. I am not blind to Cox School of Business or the Meadows School of Arts. All are needed to make SMU a complete university. So are athletics.
What is the name of this teacher?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grider » Wed Apr 26, 2000 1:34 pm

I hate the self imposed recruiting rule just as much as any Mustang should. One question, however, what is the rule? I mean, does the recruit actually have to have the school admit them on an academic basis, or does the student just have to have an application submitted with "acceptable" test scores showing that they can possibly be admitted. The reason I ask, is that this rule could be really bad for recruiting, or not that big of a deal, rather a PR move by the faculty. The point , is, SMU doesn't have set test score requirements, that's one of the advantages of being private. OK coach, just make sure they have an application in before they visit. Maybe all this rambling is for nothing, because if the rule is that they do have to be admitted first, I'm going to get mad all over again. I'm trying to be optimistic about this whole thing and would appreciate some thoughts on the subject. But Hell, we should add another opponet to our schedule cause it looks like our football team has to play the SMU faculty every year. I wish they would let us play football instead of politics.

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited 04-26-2000).]
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2000 1:41 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe in order for me to be able to take my official visit, they had to wait for me to be admitted. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Postby MustangMatt » Wed Apr 26, 2000 2:18 pm

I am pretty sure this is a rule, does anyone know the absolute specifics of this?

------------------
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby Joyous » Wed Apr 26, 2000 7:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MustangMatt:
<B>I am pretty sure this is a rule, does anyone know the absolute specifics of this?

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would imagine it is a rule because it had to happen before we visited last year.
Joyous
Varsity

Return to Football