PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Breaking the Logjam on Realignment

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Breaking the Logjam on Realignment

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:08 am

Here is the way to defuse some of the anxiety, rationalize conferences and make sense of the alternatives:

1. ACC takes only Miami, creating a solid 10 team conference and applying to the NCAA for a Conference Championship game based on 10 teams.

2. Big East moves to 10 FB schools by adding Louisville, Cincinnati & Mempnis to Syracuse, BC, Va Tech, Pitt, Rutgers, WVA and Conn. BB Schools could form an eight school division by adding Marquette, Xavier and DePaul.

3. Conf. USA adds Navy, SMU, Rice and Tulsa; emphasizing the service academics and a strong Texas/SW foundation to remaining schools.

4. Mountain West takes two: Boise State and Nevada. If four, add Fresno State and Hawaii

5. WAC picks up Sun Belt schools.

Personally, I like the Private Schools/Service Academy model with SMU/TCU, Houston/Rice, Tulsa/Tulane and Army/Navy. I don't care about their recent records. Like minded schools will benefit from an association of high quality and academically sound institutions. Plus the SW has strong commitment to the values of the serviceschools. Eight school conference for this group permits the scheduling of stronger OOC games for each.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Breaking the Logjam on Realignment

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:23 am

I agree, we would have to do something creative with our olympic sports, including bball, but being associated with Navy and Army in football would be a credit to SMU. Tulane also makes alot of sense for us.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football