PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Espn Article - CUSA vs WAC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Espn Article - CUSA vs WAC

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:06 am

<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0611/1566706.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0611/1566706.html</A>

The three potential departing Big East members want to bolt for the 2004-05 season. None wants to be a Big East lame duck for two years. But leaving by '04-05 probably would mean they wouldn't share in the final year of television deals in the ACC, while the Big East deal for that season could be split 11 ways instead of 14.

If all of these dominoes fall, Conference USA might have to replace two to three teams -- or as many as four. A bidding war could ensue with C-USA trying to lure Tulsa and SMU, while the WAC attempts to snatch TCU and Houston. The Mountain West also could look to add a few teams out of C-USA.

The confederation of 16 teams has wide support within the Big East and with potential new members. The key is whether the ACC expansion goes through and when.

The lawsuit filed against the ACC, Boston College and Miami by the five remaining Big East football members probably would go away if the ACC decided to expand to 14 and grab Virginia Tech and Connecticut. One source close to the process said those two schools would jump at the chance, but there so far has been no talk of bringing in more than three teams.

The last 16-team league was the WAC. But it split apart in 1998 after too many differences between schools. Today's WAC is a 10-team league after expanding by two; the MWC was formed by the eight teams that broke away from the WAC.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: Espn Article - CUSA vs WAC

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:15 am

if nothing happens with the ACC and all of this expansion talk, at least this has given us something to talk about during a time in which SMU fans usually have nothing to talk about. I sure miss havng a baseball program.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:47 am

What a wonderful day it would be if SMU had a baseball team. I've been watching the College World Series with my 7 year old son and keeps asking me why SMU doesn't have a baseball team. I'm having a hard time giving him a good answer. So far, the only answers I can come up with are: "SMU is not a legitimate Division 1 athletic program", "we're pathetic - heck even UTA, DBU, UD can field baseball teams", "we're not as good as Rice!" If anyone has any suggestions on how I answer this question, I'd be most appreciative.

To add to the pain, my wife is a Longhorn and we were just in Austin and my son wanted to go and see Disch-Faulk field and then buy a UT baseball shirt. Man, this is really painful.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby INFINITYRR » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:58 am

Try explaining Title IX and it effect on mens college athletics.
INFINITYRR
Recruit

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:05 am

Has Andy Katz ever been right about anything?
Nacho

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:10 am

Can't, nor do I desire, to address Title XI. I do know, however, that SMU dropped baseball well before Title XI. I recognize the practicalities of a baseball team. Nonetheless, it pains me to not have a baseball team when everyone else does. Plain and simple.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:11 am

Because of Title IX and budget issues, it came down to a choice of Men's Soccer or Men's Baseball. Our baseball program was awful and given that it was tough to recruit great baseball players. At the time 60-70% of school aged children were playing soccer not baseball. Looking at its crystal ball, the school opted to keep soccer because it would be more likely to appeal to SMU's preppie/yuppie personna and it was the wave of the future. I would rather have a top ranked soccer program than a crappy soccer and a crappy baseball program. Hopefully, we will be in the soccer finals in the next four years and your child can ask, why isn't UT in the soccer finals, mom.

[This message has been edited by EastStang (edited 06-18-2003).]
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:29 am

Bottom line for me is I still wish SMU had a baseball team. Unfortunately, my son currently asks "Why is Texas in the Final 4, why is Texas ranked nationally in FB, BB, Baseball, Swimming, Golf, etc."

As far as baseball v. soccer, I played both, currently coach both and appreciate both sports. Give up tennis b/c NO ONE cares anything about that sport. IMHO, not having baseball is a void in our athletic program. And, by the way, there is AMPLE baseball talent right here in the metroplex to send a baseball team to the College World Series.

[This message has been edited by EastStang (edited 06-18-2003).][/B][/QUOTE]
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:34 am

It would be nice to return Baseball to SMU, but it won't happen:

1) Budget constraints combined with a resulting need to add one or more new Women's sports.
2) Soccer and other Olympics sports are our natural strenghts, e.g. our student profile
3) No room on campus for Baseball Stadium. Off campus facility would make it even less appealing
4) Immediate facility needs include upgrading Moody and adding my personal favorite, a new 50 meter, indoor competitive pool.

We need to invest in all current Olympic Sport facilities or lose ground/water.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:39 am

Soccer drwas better at SMU than the baseball team ever did. We have just recruited the best soccer player in the country. See the DMN story today.
Nacho

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:54 am

I never disputed the merits of our soccer program and, yes, I saw the article in the paper - right next to the story on the College World Series, which I'll be watching on ESPN2 tonight. When's the last time you found a college soccer or tennis match on tv?

On a final note, I don't know why this has turned into a soccer v. baseball debate. That is not the issue. I am grateful for our nationally ranked soccer program and don't desire that to change. I still would like to see us have baseball.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:56 am

The College Men's and Women's Soccer Cups are always on ESPN, just as the College World Series is.

Why would I want to watch regular college baseball or soccer games anyway? I'd rather watch MLB and MLS soccer or even better, the national teams.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby cowboypony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:06 pm

And I, along with many other people, would rather watch college baseball and soccer over MLB and MLS any day of the week. Believe me, I realize that having baseball is merely a dream at this point. It doesn't change the fact that I still wish we had a team. I also agree that the natatorium is our #1 priority at this point outside of FB and BB.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:10 pm

Actually, Rice's advance has gotten lots of interest among WAC constituent schools, and old SWC schools to see UT hopefully get it in the groin. I'd love to see Rice put up another double digit number on UT. I wish I had $5 Million laying around to endow a baseball program at SMU. You'd need a similar number for softball to even pull this off. I don't. Cowboy you got a spare $10 Mil?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMU Blue » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:12 pm

I agree with you Cowboy Pony. I would much rather see an average college baseball team than a great college soccer team. I think most would agree.

Why don't we tear down the discus throwing area on 75 and University. Right now it is an eye sore. We could move the discus team to an off campus location, and build a state of the art baseball field at that location.

That would really irk those froggies after they just got through building their new baseball stadium.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Next

Return to Football