PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Copeland to be on 1310 this morning

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Copeland to be on 1310 this morning

Postby PK » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:05 pm

From Mustang Club: Jim Copeland will be on the Norm Hitzges Radio Show on 1310 "The Ticket" this morning at 11:50 AM to discuss the conference realignment situation and the state of intercollegiate athletics.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Copeland to be on 1310 this morning

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:25 pm

will there be a transcript available?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PK » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:40 pm

I don't know, but you may want to try and get the station over the internet.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Buddha » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:45 pm

So what did Cope have to say?
Buddha
All-American

Postby whatasteve » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:55 pm

I heard PK was supposed to be the official PonyFans.com secretary and type out Copeland's interview. Where is it?
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:57 pm

Realize that what follows is my recollection of the interview and most of it is in MY words and not verbatium.

It was basically a question and answer format with Norm asking various questions such as, what happens if the ACC expansion happens...will there be ripples felt throughout college football (a leading question). The jist of it being (duh) yes.

Norm brought up the recent meeting of SMU with Rice, Tulsa, Army and Navy and asked if Tulane had been included. Copeland said that Tulane had been invited, but because of what they had just been through they were not able to join them at this time, but wanted to be included in future discussions. When asked what the WAC thought of their meeting, Copeland said that they weren't very happy about it, but that his job and prority was to investigate all contingencies and have SMU in the best position possible if and when things start happening.

Copeland talked about how it is going to be more important for SMU and most other colleges to be in more regional type situations not only to reduce travel expences, but to improve things for the fans so they can drive to away games or at least hop on a Southwest flight for a day trip to a game.

He mentioned that the non-BCS teams have been in discussions with the BCS to try to improve the opportunities for everyone to have a chance at the national title and a BCS bowl game. He also pointed out that for the first time even some of the BCS programs were seeing red ink. The BCS is starting to, or should be realizing the importance of the remaining 1-A teams to the BCS both in terms of scheduling and grooming of future coaches. Therefore they should be careful they don't kill the rest of the 1-A programs.

There were a few other minor items discussed, but I'm getting cramps in my hands so I'm going to let it go at that. There are many good reasons why I'm not a journalist....besides, you should have listened yourself.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-18-2003).]
PK

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:56 pm

A couple of other interesting notes.
When asked if he thinks SMU and TCU should be in the same conference, Copeland said that he couldn’t speak for TCU but he is all for putting together a conference with regional teams. He didn’t really answer the question specifically about TCU, I sensed that he is still pretty bitter about the whole TCU/C-USA thing.
When asked about the BCS, Copeland mentioned that he is pushing for one or two of the top non-BCS conference schools each year to be included the national championship mix. At least that would give schools like SMU an outside shot at the national championship.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:00 pm

And BTW, Norm is way too smart and knowledgeable about sports to be on that station. He pretty much asked Copeland all the right questions.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:03 pm

Cope must read this board since I just brought up the "grooming of Coaches" angle just last week.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:06 pm

THANX for the tip pk - i listened in also....well done summary - u pretty well covered the finer points from what i heard also...to be honest - i'm pretty positive about what he said for smu & our future!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Football