PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Now ACC to take Va Tech plus the original 3

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Now ACC to take Va Tech plus the original 3

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:56 pm

Determined to expand by three, the ACC may take a fourth, Va Tech, to seal the deal. Boom, shock-a-lock.

<A HREF="http://www.sportsline.com/general/story/6437389" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sportsline.com/general/story/6437389</A>
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Now ACC to take Va Tech plus the original 3

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:15 pm

Can't wait to see the divisional alignments that come from having 13 schools. Or, does W.Va also get an invite to make it an even 14? Then Pitt can rejoin rival Penn State in the Big 10, returning the Big East to it's bball roots. Poor Louisville's dreams will be shattered and Connecticut politicians have some splainin' to do!
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:18 pm

How would that play into the potential Tulane-led lawsuit against the BCS?

As I see it, the remaining BE + Louisville, South Florida, Central Florida and East Carolina is no more BCS-worthy than a combination of strong MWC / WAC / and C-USA leftovers.
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:26 pm

This could be disasterous for us. That would put C-USA in the drivers seat for Pitt and West Virginia. C-USA then goes to its own 12 team league with playoff game and we get locked out, again hoping a spot opens up at a later date.
I don't see the ACC staying with 13 teams however. The wild card could be them taking someone else to go to 14, or also a possibility, could it mean someone else loses a bid.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:33 pm

The Hokie's Board already has other Big East fans asking them not to accept the invitation. As a party to the lawsuit with four others, how does Va Tech drop the suit and accept the invitation without looking like a hypocrite?

If this happens, how do the non-BCS schools slow down the BCS juggernaut? Now WVA, Pitt, Conn. and Rutgers have a bigger complaint and Louisville's move to BE may not be as automatic.

Question: Does Notre Dame come to the rescue by giving the BE four games a year?

[This message has been edited by Water Pony (edited 06-18-2003).]
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:28 am

This thing is getting really interesting... I guess UNC and Duke really are stonewalling expansion.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:20 am

what's really going to be interesting is when these schools choosing between CUSA and The Big East attempt to calculate whether the Big East BB revenue is greater or less than the CUSA FB revenue. I have always felt that the real reason that CUSA has a pretty good TV contract is because of BB NOT FB. Too many people forget the money and prestige of Big East BB. Tell me that won't still be crucial to schools like Memphis, Cincy and Louisville. I gurantee their BB Coaches would still want to jump to the Big East EVEN IF Virgina Tech went to the ACC.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Return to Football