PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grant Eidson interview

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Grant Eidson interview

Postby Corso » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:19 pm

I just read that Grant Eidson story on the home page. Pretty interesting story.

One thing that struck me was his comment about SMU recruiting Highland Park players, because they're well-coached and they know how to work. Coach Bennett has said he wants to recruit local players, and that HP, being "right down the street," is a logical place to recruit.

Does anyone know how successful HPHS players have been in recent years at the college level? I know Anthony Schlegal was a stud at Air Force, and now is on the roster at Ohio State. There was another stud LB from Highland Park who went to Kentucky a few years back, but I have no idea how he did.

Does anyone out there know how other HPHS players have done lately as college players?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Grant Eidson interview

Postby hpfan » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:22 pm

Recently there have been a rush of HP players playing in college. They have a wall of honor that is pretty full of players from the past 25+ years but recently there have been more than a few. The previous recruiting season(Eidsons year) the school had 13 players go to the next level,7 at d-1 and the rest at Ivy and d-2. This season I heard there was 5. Eidson is a record holder for o-line grading and Schlegal held the record for defensive scoring until broken by Karrington. In the recruiting year of Eidson, three went to Smu, one Rice,One Baylor,One USC, One Northwestern. Alums hope the school can be more consistent in the future instead of always being known as the school of overachieving white kids. Prior to two seasons ago there were a lot of kids every year overlooked for those reasons alone..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangKurt20 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:05 am

I've always admired the work ethic of the HP kids. I played 7 on 7 against them in summer leagues and they always gave us fits (we were a 2A school after all but we made it to State in College Station). Very accurate route runners and phenomenal precision. Those kids over there certainly have my respect.

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:06 pm

The HP linebacker who went to Kentucky was Michael Beshara. Don't know how he did in Lexington.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football