PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dallas media

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dallas media

Postby Roach » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:24 pm

Did ya'll see the Barry Horn column in Sunday's Morning News? (I know, Horn is a putz who gets paid to watch sports on TV for a living. Don't get me started....) Anyway, he wrote that Randy Galloway is moving to ESPN 103.3 FM for the afternoon drive time, meaning The Big Show gets bumped out. Newy Scruggs is headed to mornings (10-12) with some new partner, and the story said the station "hopes to find a new role" for Chuck Cooperstein.

This is horrible. First of all, Coop knows more than all of the rest of the sports talkshow hosts in Dallas ... combined. And that includes the legendary Mr. Galloway. But more than that, he is one of the few who recognizes the talent and pedigree of Coach Bennett, and is the only guy other than Norm Hitzges who has interviewed him several times on the air. We can not lose a talkshow host who knows and likes Coach Bennett and gives him his just due on the air. The notion that morons like Rhyner and Williams might still have jobs while Coop is "covering events and offering commentary," which Horn said is possible, is a shame. Coop's too good to lose a job, and would be wasted trolling lockerrooms collecting "we need to take it one game at a time" tape for sports updates.

Call ESPN radio and make sure they keep Coop!
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Re: Dallas media

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:40 pm

I hadn't seen that, and I hope it's not true. I'm a big fan of Chuck's, and he does a better job than the other local radio guys do in talking about SMU. Not that he's out waving a red and blue flag or anything, but at least he's fair and accurate. I sure hope Dallas doesn't lose him.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Big Baby HayZeus » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:52 pm

Maybe Coop can replace Sturm on TXCN?
Big Baby HayZeus

Postby Higher Authority » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:37 pm

As you can tell by my handle, I'm a big fan of Coop. He's the best in the business, bar none. I hope ESPN radio doesn't lose him - he's an asset to the station, and he recognizes SMU better than any host in town.

Not a bad idea about him replacing Sturm. Although he's always joked about the fact that he has a "face for radio!"

I really hope they figure out a way to keep Coop around.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:56 pm

In the DC area, they seem to use the 3-5 timeslot for knowledgeable sports talk, John Thompson and Doc Walker, 5-7 screaching arguing types, 1-3 Jim Rome, 10-1 Tony Kornheiser. John Thompson's show is far and away the most thoughtful sports show on radio. He's not a football guy, but Doc Walker is, and when he doesn't get something, he asks Walker and vice versa.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Higher Authority » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:04 pm

I should have clarified - Coop is the best in the business in DALLAS, bar none. I recently started listening to Kornheiser, and he's the best I've ever heard anywhere.

Thompson is good on the radio? He took a little while to grow on me as a TV analyst. Never heard his radio show.

A thought: if they push Newy Scruggs to mornings on ESPN radio, does that mean they're getting rid of the Kornheiser show? That would be a serious loss for the station, in my opinion.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby SMU Blue » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:28 pm

Pardon the Interruption is the most annoying show on TV, hands down.

If one of those guys made the claim that grass is "green", the other would say it is "blue" just for the sake of getting into an arguement.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby Higher Authority » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:47 pm

Please tell me you're kidding. I love that show. In my book, it's at the top of the list of the best shows on TV. TK and Wilbon are great together, and unlike so many other talking heads, they back up their opinions with genuine knowledge.
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby SMU Blue » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:55 pm

It just seems like they argue just for the sake of arguing, regardless of whether or not they are giving you their <B>honest</B> opinion about an issue.

Just a little too in-your-face for me.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Return to Football