PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Miami only?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Miami only?

Postby Nacho » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:52 am

It's looking like the ACC may add only Miami, for now. That may happen but it is just prolonging the inevitable. The ACC will be at 12 in a couple of years and VT will head to the SEC.

<A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24522-2003Jun23.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24522-2003Jun23.html</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Miami only?

Postby EastStang » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:04 am

That doesn't get the ACC to a conference championship and the $$$ that go with it which is the main reason for this exercise. I think that it will still be three teams. I think at this point, they are deciding whether it will be 2004-2005 or 2005-2006. Remember Virginia wants expansion, it just can't say it wants expansion. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out politically in the future, whether AG Kilgore (Republican), or Gov. Warner (Democrat), feel any backlash from UVa. folks. Warner wants to run for Senate in 2006 against George Allen and Kilgore wants to run for Governor in 2005.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Nacho » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:47 am

I agree that the ACC will go to 12. The concern is that they may take Miami now and the other 2 later. This only drags out the inevitable. The BE has lost Miami. BC will leave ASAP. Cuse or possibly Rutgers (Both NY market teams) will also go. UConn is the darling of ESPN which not conicidentally is located in Conn., but they aren't going to join the ACC. In the end all three will leave but it may happen incrementally. I would like for it all to happen at once but the ACC may bow to all the pressures currently in place and only take Miami at this time. We'll know today or tomorrow most likely

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 06-24-2003).]
Nacho

Postby Diehard Pony » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:07 pm

I for one would like for it to drag out. It gives us time to improve our stock on the football field and the basketball court. Obviously we have to do well for it to be advantageous, but at least it gives us a shot.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Return to Football