PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If only Miami, then...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If only Miami, then...

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:03 pm

what does the Big East do? They will have 7 teams at that point. Its clear they will take Louisville to get back to 8. The question is, do they go to 9 to bolster their numbers and balance out football scheduling? My guess is that they will, because the basketball schools will make a concession to avoid the possibility of losing Syracuse a second time. But who would they take? Cincinatti? South Florida? Football only Navy? If I am Turner and Copeland, I am raising money as we speak to buy into CUSA. It looks like they will have enough of a league in tact to command an entry fee. It might come down to who is willing to pay the most and pull the trigger the fastest. I don't see that we would have any choice but to do it. In the end, it may come down to a bidding war and beauty contest between SMU, Tulsa and Rice for a spot.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: If only Miami, then...

Postby gostangs » Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:59 pm

There are many things we would be underdogs in, but a bidding war to get into CUSA between Tulsa and Rice would not be one of them. Lets hope BE reaches for more then one.
gostangs

Postby Nacho » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:07 pm

The ACC knows that they have to go to 12 but they are afraid to do it. Taking Miami alone does nothing for them but gives the BE a great chance to beat them to the punch and easily go to 12 if that's what they want to do. C-USA schools will be climbing all over themselves to join the BE 12, just as the WWAC is doing to the MWC. As I have said before this is risky for the ACC. FSU and GT will not be happy about this.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 06-24-2003).]
Nacho

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:25 pm

Clearly FSU and Ga Tech will not be happy, but will they be mad enough to break off and form their own new league? I would guess they wouldnt as long as Miami was voted in. I don't seem them joining the Big East mess. If somehow Duke and UNC squashed expansion completely, I can see a breakup of the ACC. Miami wants Cuse and BC to keep the eastern markets, but with the lawsuit mess they might be willing to give that up for now and just join the ACC alone.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 06-24-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby Nacho » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:31 pm

End result for this year will be the ACC at 10 and BE at 8. No one is really happy. Leaves room for more of this next summer. Can't wait.
Nacho

Return to Football