PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game Updates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Game Updates

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:41 pm

It is not looking good so far. With 9 minutes remaining in the first, NC STATE 14, SMU 0

NC STATE just recovered a fumble at SMU's 1 yard line. Fumble recoevered by Bischoff

Re: Game Updates

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:47 pm

Josh McCown is sacked on third down, forcing SMU to punt from their own endzone.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:48 pm

Punt is blocked by N.C. State, by Craig Moody.

NC STATE BALL at the 5

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:52 pm

N.C. State scores a touchdown....

NC STATE 21- SMU 0

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:58 pm

MCCown interception......NC state ball

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2000 9:01 pm

Field Goal, N.C. state.....

24-0

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2000 9:27 pm

It is half time, and it is 24-0

Postby dot dot » Sun Sep 17, 2000 12:31 am

I just got home from the game. I think the most telling stat from the game that I have heard so far is that we recorded <B>ten sacks</B> against your quarterbacks.

This game represented far and away our best defensive effort of the season. Coming into this season, we Wolfpackers thought our defense would carry our team for a young offense and quarterback. Until now, the offense had carried the load, but tonight the defense came to play.

Special teams also seemed an area where we had a decided edge. The blocked punt, and the yardage gained on punt returns were deciding factors.

I hope your quarterback keeps his head up. He three threw interceptions, but not a single one of them was his fault. All three were passes that bounced off the hands of the intended receiver, and all three were catchable balls.

With better offensive line play in pass protection and better hands by your receivers, your offense should be fine.

Actually, your defense didn't play all that bad either. On some of the long passes to Koren Robinson, your corner actually had pretty good coverage. Especially on the 35 or so yard completion in the third quarter. Your corner was all over Koren. He could not have played better defense without interfering with him. Rivers just threw a perfect pass.

The second touchdown came on a trick play. Our wide receiver Bryan Peterson took a pitch from Rivers as he was in motion from his wideout position. Peterson faked pitching it to another wide receiver crossing from the other side. Many fans yelled "reverse!" at this point. But Peterson kept it, faked as if he was going to run with it, and threw it downfield to a wide open Koren Robinson for the TD. Peterson was a quarterback in high school and threw a nice pass.

Your run defense played very well and limited us to less than one hundred yards on the ground. Ray Robinson, our tailback, was very ineffective against your defense.

Overall, our team speed, especially that of our receiving corps, and our o-line giving Rivers time to pass, were too much for you.

I hope you have a succesful remainder of the season. I also hope your fans who came to Raleigh enjoyed themselves. I saw one gentlemen who said he was staying in Pinehurst and had played Number Two today and was playing Number Five tomorrow. Number Two was where the U. S. Open was played in 1999, and where it will be again in 2004.

I look forward to going to Dallas next season! I hope I have as much fun there as I did in Austin last season!

Go Mustangs and beat TCU!

dot dot

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:23 am

DotDot -

Thanks. We look forward to seeing you and your fellow Pack fans in Dallas anytime.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Pack Traveler » Mon Sep 18, 2000 9:31 am

I will have to say that I thought SMU played better than the score would indicate. dot dot hit it right on the head about the three int's that McCown threw. Each throw hit the receivers right in the hands only to have them bounce off and into the hands of our defenders.

I will also add that your TB, #24, is a player. That kid ran hard all night and continued to play hard well after the outcome was decided. On our 4th interception he ran down the DB and saved a TD when he could have easily dogged it and not given the effort. I also think McCown is one tough kid as well. He took some serious shots on Saturday and kept getting up and going back to the huddle to call the next play. If he was even able to get out of bed on Sunday, I would be amazed. He probably took a hit every time he went back to throw the ball.

I wish SMU luck this year in the WAC. We look forward to the return trip to Dallas next season. The game is scheduled for Sept. 22, and I can't wait to head down to the Big D and enjoy some of that special brand of hospitality that you can only find in Texas. Keep your heads up guys because your team will only get better.

[This message has been edited by Pack Traveler (edited 09-18-2000).]
Pack Traveler

Return to Football