PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Oil Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Oil Bowl

Postby No Quarter » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:15 pm

Has the Oil Bowl just been played?

Anyone on this board see the game?

Any SMU recruits in the game?
No Quarter
Heisman

Re: Oil Bowl

Postby giacfsp » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:49 am

What about the "Bayou Bowl" that was played recently, between Texas and Louisiana players? Any SMU signees in that one? How'd they do?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:15 am

No SMU players in either one.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby I AM » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:41 pm

Incorrect!! SMU incoming freshman Justin Boren started at RG (they needed his athleticism on the right side as they had some plays where they wanted a guard on the right side who could pull) for Texas in the Oil Bowl. Boren had EASILY two dozen pancakes. Seems like his man was on his butt after every play. In fact, on one play Boren picked up 6'2 290 lb. Chris Finn, and tossed him into 6'7 340 lb. Oklahoma recruit Brandon Keith, pancaking both. Boren completely domintaed all night.

Although Texas lost 24-21, it was mostly due to poor execution on the part of Texas QB Chase Wasson, who had an absolutely terrible night. The OK DBs just had his number. Wasson had all the time in the world to pass and Texas could run at will. But the Southlake coach was fixated on the passing game, which was so successful during their regular season. James Battle (TCU) did better when they pulled Wasson (twice).

Also, SMU fresman walk-on Chase Hargis, a 5'9, 165 lb. DB from Southlake Carroll, also played for Texas.
Hargis was 1st Team All District and All State 5A Honorable Mention.

Very exciting to know he'll be coming to SMU in the fall, and we'll try to get an interview with him ASAP!
I AM
Recruit

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:46 pm

Well, technically we had 3 Mustangs in the Oil Bowl...

Miss Teen Texas Brittany Willfrey (sp?), who was named Miss Oil Bowl '03, will also be attending SMU in the fall.

Best on the field, best in the stands!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:49 pm

Will Bennett redshirt Boren? He sounds like a terrific player.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:15 pm

Thanks for the information, Moderator. The DB who will walk on at SMU, Chase Hargis, is he related to Townsend?

Were there any SMU coaches at the game? Has anybody heard an SMU FB coach talk about Boren's performance?

To return to the topic of walk-ons, does anyone have a list of walk-ons expected at SMU this fall?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Dark Horse » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:01 pm

I doubt the Hargis boys are related, or at least I doubt they're brothers. Townsend played his HS ball in Plano. Chase is in Southlake. So unless the family has moved, I'd guess they're cousins, if they're related at all.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:38 pm

No clue as to whether or not Boren will be redshirted. At 6'4 300, he's a big, athletic kid who is already one of our strongest O-lineman (benches close to 400, squats nearly 600).

Question will be how quickly he can adjust to D1 speed and talent, and (obviously) whether he can make an immediate impact. IMHO, if Miller and Bennett think he can contribute immediately, he'll play.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football