PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

So, who will be the 12th?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

So, who will be the 12th?

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:28 am

Any bets on who the ACC will invite as member #12? Word is that they are holding that sport for TCU. Overheard one ACC President saying; "those froggies are well on their way to becoming the next Notre Dame of college football. I've been perusing their message board, and I'm confident that every conference in America will be wanting them. We may need to act quickly if we are going to have any hope of getting them."

On a serious note, watch for ECU and S.Fla to start sucking up the the ACC for that 12th spot. I don't think the ACC will be in any hurry...and of course this all assumes Miami & Va Tech say yes!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: So, who will be the 12th?

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:52 am

I don't see ECU or S. Florida, but I didn't see VT either. If they are stuck on geography, though, the pickings are slim unless you get an SEC defection. With this bunch anything can happen. Maybe they invite Vanderbilt so that Duke and WF have another soul mate. Maybe they think ND will join on a limited basis. They play Miami regularly, but that gets back into travel issues. Notre Dame is farther from Chapel Hill than Boston.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:19 pm

I too had a great laugh after reading the TCU Board.

Some of the Froggies actually think that the ACC will come knocking on their door.

This is absolutely hillarious.

Allthough I did hear a rumor that SMU has SERIOUS interest from the Big 10, Ted Kennedy is considering switching parties, and insiders are also saying that Texas A&M is considering changing it's uniform to a burnt orange color.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:32 pm

I hear heard also that OU is going to go to Division 1-AA to cut football costs. Elvis was sighted in Dallas last week. Big Foot plays for Boise St. At least we seem to be realistic that our best hope is a mid-major conference. The only hope the Frogs have at any upward movement (as opposed to lateral) would be if Missouri went to the Big X and the Big XII added another Texas team. If that happened though, and the Big XII invited Arkansas. instead, who would fill the SEC slot? Who knows?
EastStang

Postby gostangs » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:39 pm

Arkansas would not leave SEC - they pay out more money. You can throw out any considerations regarding rivalries, history, hypocracy, law suits, etc... every move will be made for money - either increasing the top line or lowering the expense line (regionalization).
gostangs

Postby RANDALL JONES » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:55 pm

Louisville to the ACC.
This makes the most since within our thinking of regional conferences. The only thing left is to bring Louisville into the ACC as number 12. Shalala is a smart cookie - was this the plan all along foreseeing the reactions from the Big East.
Now BE must replace two or three to go with a more desirable nine member football conference. Penn Stzte (their dream), Temple (who they have just shunned), Cincinnati, Marshall, Army, Navy?

CUSA still waiting for the fall out. How many to replace. Do they want 9, 12, or continue with their odd numbers. Most logical replacements from MAC, Sunbelt East, WAC East.
bleedgren64
RANDALL JONES

Postby Southland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:29 pm

The best fit for the ACC would be Vanderbilt... a southern school with top academics.

Whether or not they would leave the SEC is another story.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:54 pm

if there is one thing we DEFINITELY can be sure of-it is that no BCS conference would EVER want Vanderbilt. Where do some of you come up with these academic angles. Now academics may disqualify a school from consideration, but it is so far down the list of positive factors that a BCS conference is considering that it is of little consequence
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Southland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> if there is one thing we DEFINITELY can be sure of-it is that no BCS conference would EVER want Vanderbilt. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm.... Vanderbilt is in a BCS conference
Southland
Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:25 pm

every conference needs a doormat -helps with the scheduling.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:31 pm

They've already got Duke. I figured Duke my like some company.
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:45 pm

Vanderbilt is not going anywhere. Tennessee is natural rival, along with Kentucky. SEC also pays more. VU is lucky to be there and SEC schools gets an automatic Win. Also, there BB is pretty good, especially the Women. Lastly, SEC likes Nashville.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:45 pm

Vanderbilt is not going anywhere. Tennessee is natural rival, along with Kentucky. SEC also pays more. VU is lucky to be there and SEC schools gets an automatic Win. Also, there BB is pretty good, especially the Women. Lastly, SEC likes Nashville.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Southland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:52 pm

SEC generates more revenue... ACC pays more. Again, that will change pending the ACC's new financial structure which has yet to be determined.

I agree, I don't think Vanderbilt would go, but they would be a solid choice given that the ACC would not be able to steal any of the large SEC state schools, and they do not head into New England.
Southland
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:05 pm

If they say no, i can think of another southern school with similar qualities to Vandy,who has an AD with ACC connections, who has hosted several ACC schools in its new stadium, who has an improving basketball team and who adds a new, huge T.V. market. - oh well, we can dream....
gostangs

Next

Return to Football