PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Whole sorry mess

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Whole sorry mess

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:53 am

In this whole sorry mess I feel most sorry for BC. They wanted out of the BE more than anyone. They are stuck. Too bad for them.

This was clearly a politically driven marriage, split along geographical lines.

I have followed this as much as anyone and I never saw a scenario of VT and Miami alone going to the ACC. Something else also must be afoot. ND? At this point that wouldn't surprise me.

BE was hurt more by the loss of VT than BC and Cuse combined. They shot themselves in the foot and don't know it. They just lost their 2 best football schools. All the C-USA schools in the world won't make up for it.

Do not try to figure it out. Logic obviously plays no role in these things.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 06-25-2003).]
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Whole sorry mess

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:10 pm

Just remember this: the ACC expansion talk got started when the fball schools (Fla St & Clemson, followed by Ga Tech) started making noise about balancing the strength of fball vs bball in the conference. The ACC has just plucked the 2 strongest programs from the BE, who also happen to make sense geographically. The Big 10 has done just fine with 11. I don't expect the ACC to rush out and invite #12.
Charleston Pony

Postby leopold » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:25 pm

I have to believe they will rush out and get #12. For one thing, since Va Tech is coming, their will not be as much additional TV money coming as was originally planned. So they are going to have to hold the coveted championship game to hope to increase revenue, or perhaps even stay at the financial level they are now.
Secondly, it looks as though BC and Syracuse will not be coming:

<A HREF="http://www.suathletics.com/News/basketball/mbasket/2003/6/25/accstatement625.asp?path=mbasket" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suathletics.com/News/basketball/mbasket/2003/6/25/accstatement625.asp?path=mbasket</A>

BC's definitely out; SU looks like it is too. If expansion does not come from those schools, there is a good chance it will be Louisville, and the ACC would be smart to make sure they invite them first to keep from adding additional controversy.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:40 pm

I bet they just wait one year until they have the votes to overide Duke and North Carolina's veto.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Southland » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:00 pm

Stallion, you are totally right... it's now 9-2 in favor of a twelfth.

The only question is who will be Maryland's travel partner... rest assure it will be a big revenue school that can deliver a Top 25 market, and they will be invited during the next year.

Louisville (#49 DMA) is not going to be that school.

Markets to look at up/down the East
New York (#1) Syracuse, Rutgers and Connecticut give a chance
Philadelphia (#4) Temple
Boston (#6) Boston College
Tampa (#15) South Florida
Pittsburgh (#20) Pitt, Penn State gives a chance
St. Louis (#21) Missouri
Orlando (#22) Central Florida

Tampa & Orlando affiliates will probably air the ACC regardless, giving USF and UCF little hope.
Southland
Varsity

Return to Football