PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We Want the YODA PLAN!!!!!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We Want the YODA PLAN!!!!!!

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:05 am

If UNLV and TCU were to be lured back into the WAC - this is the BEST scenario.

I would put Houston in there instead of Southern Miss though - just for sentimental reasons.

Anything to get the WAC BBall Tourney back in Vegas - yeah baby yeah!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: We Want the YODA PLAN!!!!!!

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:38 pm

Phew... Just in time.

Almost died for lack of a second...

<A HREF="http://westsports.com/yodaplan.pdf" TARGET=_blank>http://westsports.com/yodaplan.pdf</A>

Yoda out...
Yoda

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:51 pm

TCU ain't leaving the C-USA and UNLV wants the MWC. The Yoda plan is only a dream, not a prospect for the future. If you are going to dream, then dream BIG - as in Big 12. See what I mean.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby OlePony » Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:07 pm

Is any one asking SMU to join anything? No- They won't unless and until we are competitive in football. We are not there. There can be reasonable expectations of being a top WAC team in 3 to 4 more years. If it comes before that Bennett is a magician.
Yoda may be right that WWAC may implode. Beyond that his is a pipe dream. Please tell me why TCU would move from even a watered down CUSA to the WAC. Try to think like amother school's fans. Then give me an idea why those who aren't associated with SMU already who have better programs would want to get us in any conference. These posts are plain idiocy.
OlePony
Recruit

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sam I Am:
<B>TCU ain't leaving the C-USA and UNLV wants the MWC. The Yoda plan is only a dream, not a prospect for the future. If you are going to dream, then dream BIG - as in Big 12. See what I mean.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The YP is under active consideration by the Presidents.

How "active", of course, is difficult to say. I would have to agree that the full meal deal of a WAC 14 is a bit of a dream. However, there is likely a 50/50 chance that the WAC will enact a bylaw change that keeps everybody in the conference.

And once that is done, the WAC hopes to pick up two schools from a depleted CUSA. It may not be TCU and USM;it might be Houston and Tulane. And they may not be successful at all.

But at least they are making the effort. I don't believe that the Big 12 has yet made contact with SMU.

Yoda out...
Yoda

Postby OlePony » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:53 pm

No- The Big 12 hasn't called nor will they. Houston and Tulane won't join the WAC either. Why should they? To get a smaller TV payout? YP is a pipe dream. The President's discussed it. Wow, did anybody sign up to pay huge exit fees? Nor will they.
OlePony
Recruit

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:59 pm

The WAC's ESPN/ESPN2 ratings the past two seasons have been 19% higher than the MWCs and 17% higher than CUSA's. Benson was quoted in the Hawaii paper as saying that when television contracts are renegotiated, the WAC will get every bit the exposure and television contract that the MWC gets.

Incidentally, what is driving the MWC's interest in expansion isn't the ACC fallout -- it's ESPN and their own low ratings.

The YP is a realistic option. It may not happen -- particularly as respects the addition of SDSU and UNLV -- but it is no pipe dream.

Incidentally, the 50/50 chance that I mentioned wasn't my guess -- it was the evaluation of a WAC president.

Yoda out...

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 06-28-2003).]
Yoda

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:03 am

And no one seems to comprehend how strong the WAC is as a non-BCS conference. Got any numbers supporting that Yoda?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby OlePony » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:10 pm

Look atmpower ratings too please. Most everyone thinks CUSA and MWC are better.
OlePony
Recruit

Return to Football