PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU is marketing!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU is marketing!

Postby Dark Horse » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:14 pm

I went home for lunch today, as I always do. While I was sitting there eating, the phone rang. Since the Caller ID said "UNAVAILABLE" (read: telemarketer), I didn't answer. When my answering machine picked up, this is what I heard:

"Hi, this is SMU football head coach Phil Bennett."

I nearly fell over. Coach has recorded a message that's being played for who knows how many people, encouraging all of us to buy our season tickets. He touts the strength of schedule, citing four bowl winners among our home opponents. He also said something about how the Mustangs "have new helmets and uniforms, because we have a new mindset .... and it's all about winning."

I already have my tickets, but I took this call as a reminder to get friends to "Join the Stampede." For those of you who haven't gotten your tickets yet, please do. And GO TO THE GAMES. We have the best stadium in the state, and we need to make it loud, helping the Ponies as much as we can. If you go to get (or order on-line) your tickets, get an extra pair and bring friends, family, co-workers.

Congratulations to the marketing department (I assume) for putting this campaign together -- I hope it works, getting more fans in the seats. Coach Bennett's enthusiasm about the upcoming season sounded genuine, and he mentioned making SMU our "home team."

I'm hooked. Can't wait for the season!
Dark Horse
All-American

Re: SMU is marketing!

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:42 pm

along those lines, saw the new football poster already at Bubbas on Hillcrest. Cool poster. Keylon Kincaid looks tough, with an image of Doak in the background.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:16 am

I received the same call yesterday. The only thing that could be better is... If the caller ID said SMU Sports or just SMU.

Great job and a smart way to get Coach involved!!!
Nice job
GSS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:19 pm

Don't act surprised. This is what REAL football programs do! I've told you before... Phil Bennett is the real deal. We need to increase our individual ticket orders and take some friends to a game. It's gonna catch on, I'm tellin' ya.
Bergermeister

Postby MustangFan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:27 pm

You know, the Atlanta Falcons had Michael Vick record a message prior to last season, and while some raised their eyebrows at the idea, the team sold (I think) more season tickets than at any other time in team history.

If it sells one season ticket, it's well worth the time. Good job getting Coach more exposure, in every way possible.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby MustangFan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:33 pm

And I saw the poster, too. Keylon Kincade looks like he'd run through a brick wall for a first down. Best football poster SMU has had in years.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby ShanDtheMan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:30 pm

Keylon's a real nice guy, and he always looks so gentle. Hard to imagine him looking mean.

Does anyone have a picture of the poster than can post?y
ShanDtheMan
Scout Team

Postby DreadHead » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:23 am

Yah, mon. The poster is very cool. I think the white jersey looks great on Kincade. I also saw the schedule cards that have the new helmet on them -- very sharp!
DreadHead
Scout Team

Postby Hoofprint » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:25 am

So where can we get these posters/schedule cards?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby DreadHead » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:37 am

I would guess that they are available at SMU in the SID or Marketing office, but I don't know for sure. I'd like to get one to hang in Little Dread's room.

[This message has been edited by DreadHead (edited 07-03-2003).]
DreadHead
Scout Team

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:00 am

I picked up several posters and schedule cards this week in the Marketing Office at Moody. What an improvement they've made there. I spoke with marketing guru Brian Maguire and everybody was bending over backwards to assist. In regard to the poster: it is the best ever. Coach Bennett needs to shelve the blue jerseys in favor of the red ones. The red makes for a really sharp look. I think the blue ones have run their course.
Bergermeister

Postby EastStang » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:08 am

Blue jerseys have been our most traditional colored jersey for the last 30 years. We have briefly toyed with red. I remember in 1974 when Dave Smith decided on silver helmets with no horse, and red jerseys. Our first game was with New Mexico State whose colors were red and silver that year. No one was sure which team was SMU. I would rather Coach Bennett pull out red jerseys, like Dan Devine did with green jerseys at Notre Dame. Pick a spot to use them when it might put the team a little over the top to win a crucial game for a conference championship or something like that.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:49 pm

I picked up a handful of posters and wallet cards from Shawn Helbron in the office at Moody a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to find a few 'key' places to put up the posters here in the greater Houston area. I'll be handing out the wallet schedules to anyone that I think might be a potential ticket buyer to an SMU game!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby Ksig_Stang » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:30 pm

MrMustang,

I'm interning downtown at Baker Botts LLP in One Shell Plaza ... there are a bunch of stores and restaurants down in the mall. There's even a store that sells magazines and "Texas" university stuff ... although it's all aTm and UT stuff.

Do you think they'd be down to put some SMU posters up in those areas?
Ksig_Stang

Return to Football