PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BE/ACC: Where Does SMU Stand Now?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BE/ACC: Where Does SMU Stand Now?

Postby MustangKurt20 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:53 pm

Seeing as how what happened was a surprise move, how if at all does this affect SMU's chances of getting into a new conference?

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Re: BE/ACC: Where Does SMU Stand Now?

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:00 am

same place we have been...hoping the MWC doesn't expand to 12 and destroy the WAC, leaving us begging CUSA or the SunBelt for an invitation...or exploring the possibility of a new conference with WAC east schools and Army, Navy & Temple if they become available.

SMU has to hope the Big East decides they need more than 8 fball schools and picks apart CUSA. That's our best hope for being reunited with TCU & Houston.

This is likely to play out over the next 12 months, so it would serve us well to be the surprise fball team of 2003 and win 6 games. Not likely, but not impossible.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangFan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:36 pm

Good point - a surprise/breakout season, coupled with positive atmosphere around Coach Bennett and an "up and coming" SMU team would certainly turn a few heads in other conferences. Might make us a sudden player in the equation?

I'm not holding my breath, but damn, that would be nice.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:49 am

Let's start by beating TT, Rice, Baylor and TCU this year. That would be something we haven't done in a long time. Not likely, but that sure would turn some heads and make conferences on the fence take a second look.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football