PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big East-CUSA Alliance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big East-CUSA Alliance

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:18 pm

Fraley's conference suggestion in the DMN is pretty close to the league I was woofing about the other day, except he suggests only 10 teams and no private division. I like mine better, but right now I think both are a longshot. There is a scenario floated by CubanBull on CUSA board that I think might fly. Basically Louisville and Cincy (or ECU) join the Big East football division to give it 8 teams. That leaves CUSA with 9 teams which is still an ideal number for scheduling. The Big East basketball division picks up Marquette and stays in tact also. The Big East "football" division plays crossover games in basketball against the Catholic division, ie the Gavitt plan. No crossover bball games between CUSA and either Big East division. However, CUSA and Big East football champs meet in a title game to see who gets BCS bid. There are issues, but this just might work, unfortunately. Word is that Tranghese and Banowsky the CUSA commish have been in dialogue about something. Trangese has already floated the idea publicly about a Big East/ACC title game as an alternative to ACC expansion, so we know they think the concept could work. The clear downside for SMU is the dominos might not fall far and we are stuck with a tenuous WAC. But, if the BE-CUSA are able to pull off an alliance with BCS inclusion, couldnt the WAC and MWC do the same thing?...

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 06-26-2003).]
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Big East-CUSA Alliance

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:11 pm

You are on the right track about the BE and C-USA forming a football aliiance through a BCS qualifying playoff game between the two schools. That may well come to pass. The MWC is still undeservedly stuck out and the WAC is a lost cause.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football