PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Top 10 markets

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Top 10 markets

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:58 pm

This is a map you might want to study for a second.

Top 10 markets:
Pac 10--2
Big 12--1
SEC--1
Big 10--3
ACC--1

Temple, Rutgers and BC are all sitting in top 10 markets, yet will not be in a BCS conference. This tells me that all 3 will be considered for expansion, especially Rutgers (NY) and BC (Boston).

Should also be noted that Dallas is a top 10 market. The SEC should be beating our door down to get in here not only for the market but for Texas recruiting. Opening up Texas to the SEC seems like a no-brainer to me.
Let Sout Carolina go back to the ACC and bring in SMU.

<A HREF="http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=19395915&sid=&style=2" TARGET=_blank>http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=19395915&sid=&style=2</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Top 10 markets

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:23 pm

What wonderful wishful thinking! That won't happen. Rutgers can't draw flies in the NY market and neither can SMU in the Dallas market. In that line of thinking,Pepperdine is on everyone's list because of the LA market. San Jose locks up the SF market. Why don't we start a conference with Rutgers, Georgia Southern, USF, Rice, Pepperdine, Loyola, Univ of Detroit, Miami of Ohio etc. We'll lock up all the major markets. The only problem is that no one will come or watch.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:39 pm

If you don't think the SEC schools would draw in Dallas you are nuts.
Nacho

Postby gostangs » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:47 pm

The problem is they are already drawing where they are playing now, and we don't deliver any new market to the extent they get paid for it (bigger TV contract), therefore we are a negative due to travel - its all about the money.
gostangs

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:49 pm

Did you notice the part about recruiting?
Nacho

Postby gostangs » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:53 pm

I doubt the trade-off would be worth it to them - they also can't get enough of their mobs in Ford. I wish it wre otherwise but we won't be going that way - out best option is as a replacement CUSA member, followed by new SWC if it can get more quality then we've seen mentioned so far, followed by staying were we are and hoping the raid won't go very deep.
gostangs

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:00 pm

Ford can be expanded to 45k. It was built that way. For really big games use Texas stadium or the Cotton Bowl.

Why do I try?
Nacho

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:11 pm

Keep thinking big Nacho. If Baylor can be in the Big 12, anything can happen. Its called luck, timing and willingness to do what it takes. If TCU can make itself attractive, SMU certainly can too. Obviously, SMU cannot plan on being invited anywhere, but it should still be trumpeting the Dallas market any chance it gets.
Hoop Fan

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:20 pm

If SMU can't get into the Big 12, then why would the SEC take us? Shucks, we couldn't even join the C-USA once upon a time. The Dallas market is not butts in seats. TV sells only if you can get an audience. SMU is not an attraction unless we play a name opponent. Sorry Nacho, but dreams won't get us into the BCS.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:22 pm

While the SEC has a team in only 1 top ten market, each team virtually dominates all markets in their state. Georgia is not in Atlanta, but don't you think they do well there. LSU is not in New Orleans, but don't you think they do well there. Florida is not in Miami, Orlando, or Jacksonville, but I bet there are some big numbers of Gator fans in those markets.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:25 pm

It's people like HF that keep me going. The true-believers. The never-say-nevers. The until-the-last-man-is-standings. Thank you HF for letting me know that at least one SMU fan hasn't thrown in the towel and succumbed to the notion that SMU must accept mediocrity. The dream lives.
Nacho

Postby gostangs » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:48 pm

My point is not that it can't happen - it just won't overnight - no big time conference is going to pull a white knight and rescue us from this point - we have to fight our way out - 1st CUSA or the best regional we can pull off - 2nd we dominate or at least show consistant success in that conference, meanwhile building fan support and popularity - THIRD we make the cut when the 52 card pick up happens later. Seems to me that it has to be in that order, and the problem now is if CUSA does not get raided we may not have the pressure to make it happen ourselves with some others. Getting bettter within the WAC will not be enough.
gostangs

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:55 pm

Sam, SMU had done virtually nothing proactive to get into CUSA, and at the time we were on an embarrassing probation. Losing teams on probation get nowhere. As for the SEC, of course its a longshot. But, in this day of competition for tv and recruits, dont you think the SEC might like a foray into the heart of Big 12 country? If nothing more than for ego, I could see the SEC thinking that way. They already play murderous in conference schedule, its not like they need more competition. Might need a Vandy for the West division.
Hoop Fan

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:56 pm

We are sitting on a gold-mine. The SEC can surely see it, even if you can't. We don't have to prove ourselves. They want what we have--plenty of hs football players and a very nice TV market to boot.
Nacho

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:22 pm

SMU needs to dominate the WAC. Being a middle team in a non BCS conference is not a sought after commodity by any conference. Yes- People like to recruit Texas. They can do that as well or better with an OOC name opponent from Texas. SMU doesn't deliver Dallas. There will be continual shifts as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. SMU must win and put fans in stands to be attractive. For example, if SMU beat baylor, TT and OSU this year, people would notice and fans would start showing up. If we lose to all or 2 of the 3, then no one will care including, unfortunately, most of our own alumni and students. To win, we must even the playing field on recruiting and out recruit and out coach opponents for a few years. Only then and until that happens will we get a seat at the table. All the rest of wishful thinking and good cheerleading. I am one who is a cheerleader but I also recognize reality. Coach Bennett has a lot he must accomplish. Hopefully, this recruiting class is the start of getting a lot better.
OldPony
Heisman

Next

Return to Football