PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Hardline

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Hardline

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:52 pm

on the The Ticket are talking about the possiblity of a new SWC right now. I'm not a big fan of the show of they have some pretty interesting points....starting with, why in the hell would SMU and TCU want to get into a conference with UNT.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Hardline

Postby giacfsp » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:17 pm

I guess I'm glad it's being discussed, but why anyone listens to those clowns is beyond me.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:33 pm

Oh I dunno-Dunham & Miller had an intriquing segment on their favorite ice cream treats while growing up in the morning segment.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MustangFan » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:34 pm

Ha!
Couldn't have said it better myself, Stallion!
MustangFan
All-American

Postby leopold » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:26 am

Get a life.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MeanGreenGem » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:56 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MeanGreenGem:
[B]Because UNT is the only Texas public university that would schedule you or TCU on a regular basis if our future OOC schedule even allowed for that to happen any longer, because we have much higher profile schools on it (some that have been televised and others that will also be starting with the one in the OU Sooner Nation, this August 30'th); anyway, the UNT OOC schedule is one that we seem to be getting more competitive with (can you say power-ratings?) than what any former SWC private school could ever bring to the table any longer.

In due time, there will be no degree of interest on our part for any games because we will have moved up and on and have other bigger fish to fry in the new era of the NCAA that we, too, are now part of (and will soon spend multi-millions toward several new football related athletic venues to continue to stay part of this new NCAA).

Why doesn't SMU play Texas or TAMU any longer? Are they giving yall the old "we don't won't to schedule SMU---nothing to gain/everything to lose" raspberry like yall like to spread out a bit of your own to others? Yalls raspberry jam doesn't affect UNT I bet nearly as much as UT/TAMU's cold shoulder's to its very own former conference mates such as SMU? Oh well, the Texas collegiate pecking order continues but some are closing in on it and will pass others in good time.

MORE OF THE SAME BUT: UNT would bring fans much in the style (and numbers) that UT and TAMU used to bring to your stadiums during the golden days of the SWC. That fact alone seems to bother some of your people because that is not what former teacher's colleges/commuter schools are supposed to do, now is it? Next thing you know they'll be doing some real wild "non-teacher's" college type things like building a whole string of athletic venues (including a new football stadium) on 160 acres of prime real estate located adjacent to a hotel/conference center between 2 Texas interstates.

THE HARDLINE? There would be so many positive things for the 2 way over active hormonal middle aged teenage acting goofballs on KTCK to talk about on this so called SWC II (is the name Southwest Conference even available?); but if you haven't yet figured out their show and what their stchick is truly all about, it's all about jock shock, or just to try to stir it up on the airwaves any way you can with the masses.

Rhyner's continued sophmorish calling our school NTSU is hardly even funny any more (as I thought it used to be). One has to wonder what some of that KTCK staff will do for work when that gig finally plays out.

Mike Rhiner is an Arlington State College, whoops, sorry, a UTA alum for what is worth but did not graduate from that school. Greg Williams is a TCU graduate. But as far as Rhiner, he probably couldn't pass the PE courses to get out of his freshmen year.

DOES THE HARDLINE ACT SO GOOFY FOR RATINGS like in, uh, Arbitron ratings? In other words, create a mini-controversy on the air because its good for ratings, especially if they can get the massive UNT constituency pissed off at them and to start sending out those emails (once again) en mass as happened last year and as described in the next paragraph.

THE EMAIL EXPLOSION FROM THE GREENIES: Ask "The Cobra" (Corby Davidson) what his smart arsed anti-UNT remarks he made during a North Texas Nissan commercial last year caused to happen to him because of a massive anti response to him and an ocean full of emails he received from some very pissed off UNT alums/fans? His own boss, Sesquicana Corp. radio General Manager Dan Bennett, also received as many emails and he called "The Cobra" in for a "come to Jesus" talk and told him to "cool it" concerning UNT.

North Texas Nissan officials even emailed UNT alums by the thousands apologizing for the young "Over Cusser" Davidson's sarcastic and smart arsed comments. He has not done it again since and I don't think NT Nissan (of Denton and Sherman) uses him in their commercials any longer, either. That is what is called hitting one where it hurts the most, like, uh, the pocketbook?

Pocketbook? Of course, money is no object with some athletic departments until some schools keep playing non revenue drawing conference schools and find out that total gate receipts are not like they should be because of it. Playing such "conference rivals" that Mr. Fraley of the DMN described in his article as those who couldn't draw flies in Texas if they were a horse manure factory, that was not the illustration he used, of course.

PS...I have a nice job and one that pays quite well but thanks for your heartfelt concern. I will remember you in my will!:> )

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-27-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:48 am

Somebody give this guy a job so he has something else to do please.
gostangs

Postby SMU Blue » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:25 pm

MeanGreenGem,

Just a little advice..

People might read your posts if you make them a little shorter and to the point.

Nobody wants to read a Thesis.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby MeanGreenGem » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:04 pm

Duly noted...I am a bit long winded now aren't I? But greenies on our board call my thesis, well, uh, they call them manifestos?!?! Image

My mother was a journalist who also tended to be rather longwinded with her words as well so at least I do come by all this honestly! Image

Best wishes for 2003...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMU Blue:
<B>MeanGreenGem,

Just a little advice..

People might read your posts if you make them a little shorter and to the point.

Nobody wants to read a Thesis.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 06-27-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Return to Football