PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

EC wants in too

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

EC wants in too

Postby Nacho » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:55 am

<A HREF="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/6189649.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/6189649.htm</A>
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: EC wants in too

Postby Water Pony » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:35 pm

NC, Duke, NC State and Wake Forest would never invite East Carolina because they are "not worthy". Except for a competitive FB team, not much else going for it.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:21 am

Most of us here in ACC country thought Virginia Tech wasn't worthy either, then Governor Warner stuck his nose in this mess. If the North Carolina Gov. decreed it, 2 of the four Carolina Schools would have to vote for it. Duke might do so just to pimp their conference mates.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby 93Mustang » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:04 pm

A decent attempt at an analogy between what happened in Virginia and what could happen in NC, but the problem is that in NC, the two biggest public schools are already in the ACC unlike Virginia prior to last week. Accordingly, the analogy fails. "EZ U" as it's referred to in NC by non-ECU alums will never get into the ACC. If you're looking for the 12th ACC memeber (making the huge assumption that Miami accepts later today) think ND, Penn. St., Syracuse, BC, and Louisville. I doubt any of these potential candidates will join the ACC anytime soon for a variety of reasons, but I can assure you that ECU will never get in.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:12 pm

I agree. But my point was that anything can happen with those nutty ACC guys. I said that the ACC will NEVER admit Va. Tech, too.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby 93Mustang » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:19 pm

I disagree. Another major distinction in the situations is the fact that Va. Tech.'s football team has been ranked for the last 5 years or so and has appeared in the BCS championship game within the last 5 years. While ECU may have appeared in a bowl or two, they have no flagship team that would add anything to the ACC while Va. Tech.'s football team brings something to the table.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Return to Football