PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why did you pick SMU?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why did you pick SMU?

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:06 pm

I am curious to see what you guys picked SMU as your college of choice or if you a parent of a student, why your son or daughter picked SMU.
I was excepted to Rice, SMU, Texas, and TCU. I liked all the schools for their special reasons. I knew one thing for certain-I wanted to stay in the state of Texas. I love Texas, and I could not imagine living anywhere else! Rice was not quite "fun" enough for me, and I did not like Ft. Worth. It really boiled down to Texas and SMU. Texas is a great school, and I would never say anything bad about it. The fact remains that it was just simply too big for me. I wanted a smaller school that had serious academics and but also had a good social scene and was in a great town. SMU was a perfect choice for me! What about you all?
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Why did you pick SMU?

Postby 91Stang » Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:15 pm

I wanted to go south for school, because I hate cold weather almost as much as I now hate TCU and Baylor High. Wanted to get into communications, or so I thought, and SMU has an excellent communications school. Plus, I applied to eight schools and got into one (SMU was my top choice all along, but the last one I heard from -- I was sweating bullets when I opened that envelope!), so that made my choice pretty obvious.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Joyous » Wed Apr 26, 2000 1:09 pm

91Stang - Are you in Canada now? Do you keep up with the RoughRiders. Ever heard of "Jimmy the Jet" that now plays for BC formerly with the Argos??
Joyous
Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Wed Apr 26, 2000 2:17 pm

I cannot talk for 91Stang, but I have heard of the Jet. How did they finish this year, I heard they were far along in the playoffs?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joyous:
<B>91Stang - Are you in Canada now? Do you keep up with the RoughRiders. Ever heard of "Jimmy the Jet" that now plays for BC formerly with the Argos??</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby Joyous » Wed Apr 26, 2000 3:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MustangMatt:
<B>I cannot talk for 91Stang, but I have heard of the Jet. How did they finish this year, I heard they were far along in the playoffs?

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They made it to the game before the Grey Cup. Jimi came out leading the league in all purpose yards and was voted Most Outstanding Special Teams Player and received a awesome trophy. go to <A HREF="http://www.cfl.ca/GreyCup/photog39.html" TARGET=_blank>www.cfl.ca/GreyCup/photog39.html</A> and check him out.

[This message has been edited by PonyFanMan (edited 04-26-2000).]

Joyous
Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Wed Apr 26, 2000 4:00 pm

WOW, that is something to be proud of. Tell him congrats from PonyFans!

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 26, 2000 5:27 pm

Joyous-

I had to edit your post because there was an extra period in the link provided and it was not working. I fixed, and now it works! Congrats. It looks like talent runs deep in that family!!!!!!!!

To Ponyfans-

Click on the link, it is great. Here is a preview!

Image <A HREF="http://www.cfl.ca/GreyCup/photog.39.html" TARGET=_blank>www.cfl.ca/GreyCup/photog.39.html</A>

------------------
PonyFanMan
Co-Founder, Ponyfans.com
Cwilson@ponyfans.com

Postby THE ROCK » Wed Apr 26, 2000 5:47 pm

THE ROCK SAYS...

CONGRATS JOYOUS!

I PICKED SMU FOR TWO REASONS..

1. I LOVED THE FACT THAT IT IS A SMALL SCHOOL WITH A GOOD ACADEMIC PROGRAM

2. I LOVED DALLAS AS A CITY. IT IS FUN AND THE PEOPLE ARE GREAT!

------------------
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Postby Joyous » Wed Apr 26, 2000 7:04 pm

PonyFanMan - You are just TOO GOOD!! Thanks.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby graypony » Thu Apr 27, 2000 1:35 pm

Jr. picked SMU after growing up a fan of the lone non-Texas SWC school all of his life. You can be a fan of a team, but once you get to know the people behind the helmets, coaches on the sidelines, and the reputation academically of the school, it changes everything.

He picked SMU because of personal relationships he had made on recruiting visits with coaches, players already there, and recruits he met who had already committed for the Mustangs. I was pleasantly surprised that he did not fall for the glitz & glamour of the two other big schools that actively recruited him, TAMU & Ark. It was impressive and they have fine people in their program, too. But...in the end, SMU just felt like home.

I think one other thing that is appealing is the fact that he believes that he will be on the SMU team that breaks out of the post-punishment period. To be on the front end of something great is always more fun than trying to maintain that level of greatness. I remember that the first Jimmy Johnson Super Bowl win and that season was a whole lot more fun than the subsequent victories which came more as a relief than a glorious treat that the first one was.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby 91Stang » Thu Apr 27, 2000 5:20 pm

Another link to some more info on the great J. Cunningham -- perhaps we can make him an honorary Mustang?
<A HREF="http://www.cfl.ca/CFLBios/cunningham_james.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cfl.ca/CFLBios/cunningham_james.html</A>

Check it out!
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby BUS » Thu Apr 27, 2000 10:34 pm

Well this is a neat question so... follow this.
Grandmother went in the late 19 teens and both parents graduated in 46 and then 50 after WWII. Bother of my brothers went through and my sister through the Meadows School of Arts. Then it came time for me to leave the rodeo circuit and get educated.

I had been going to Mustang games since the 60's and cultural arts activities as well. SMU is home for me and the chick are/were great.

Only man on campus that drove an International Harvester Scout II.

Joined the Kappa Sigma Fraternity and graduated in 83. 5 year plan you see.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2000 10:40 pm

Nothing wrong with five years!!! Image

------------------
PonyFanMan
Co-Founder, Ponyfans.com
Cwilson@ponyfans.com

Postby graypony » Thu Apr 27, 2000 11:01 pm

BUS, you were in the rodeo? I bet you have some great stories about that. I would love to hear them sometime.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2000 11:04 pm

I would love to hear some of your stories!!!! I am a big rodeo fan!

------------------
PonyFanMan
Co-Founder, Ponyfans.com
Cwilson@ponyfans.com

Next

Return to Football