PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Now what happens?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Now what happens?

Postby Casey » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:50 am

There are stories out of Georgia that the president of the University of Georgia is trying to get rid of longtime athletic director (and former football coach) Vince Dooley. Apparently Dooley's contract is up, and while his legions of fans want him kept on, the prez (class guy that he is) is publicly bad-mouthing Dooley, saying it's time to move on.

Didn't Mike Cavan get hired out there because he's close to Dooley? What happens to Coach Cavan now, if Dooley gets squeezed out?
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Re: Now what happens?

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:02 am

Don't worry about Mike. With his outgoing personality and quick wit, he's a shoe-in for an NCAA color commentator.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Now what happens?

Postby SMUFan » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:46 am

I saw that report on ESPN, too. I couldn't believe how petty and immature the Georgia president was being. He sounded like a spoiled kid.

He also said something about how if Dooley remained, it would serve as proof that the athletic arm of the university runs the show, and compromises the integrity of "the academic institution." Um .... athletics DOES run the show there. How many academic programs at UGa. are known outside the state? I can't think of any. I'm not saying they should be compared to Harvard and Stanford or anything, but UGa. can't even be lumped in with other superior state schools, like North Carolina, Michigan, Virginia, etc. It's a jock factory, first and foremost.

Whatever happens there, I hope Coach Cavan lands on his feet. He was always a real nice man when I got a chance to talk to him.
SMUFan
All-American

Return to Football