PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN Reports that WAC will invite TCU, Tulane, UH . . .

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN Reports that WAC will invite TCU, Tulane, UH . . .

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:12 am

As soon as Louisville announces their decision to leave CUSA.

Sounds like the WAC is being proactive. That is good.

<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncaa/s/2003/0630/1575067.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncaa/s/2003/0630/1575067.html</A>
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: ESPN Reports that WAC will invite TCU, Tulane, UH . . .

Postby Nacho » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:28 am

That's exactly what the Houston Chronicle is saying. Either Andy Katz is getting his info from the Houston paper or they both have the same source or sources. At any rate very interesting that 2 different publictions have the same scenario.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:30 am

TCU and UH will gag at the thought of going into the WAC. And where will that leave USM? I think that the C-USA will be more inclined to raid the WAC than vice versa.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:32 am

You are correct Sam. Both will try to raid the other but CUSA, I think has the upper hand.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:41 am

I agree, but it will depend in part on who leave CUSA, if Cincy, UL, Marquette, and Army leave, they will be pretty gutted football wise (ECU, UAB, USM, Memphis, USF). TCU, Tulane and UH may very well say, the WAC with Boise, Hawaii, FSU in the west and these teams in the east looks pretty good. Plus Tulsa basketball is equal to or better than Memphis. Good possible TV contract and a good possible championship game and less travel. If Cincy stays and USF leaves, then it gets trickier because basketball is would remain better in CUSA.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUFan » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:48 am

Did yall see the letters in the DMN Sunday, where TCU fans wrote in saying how superior their program is, etc., and how they were offended to be grouped with SMU in such discussions? Obviously, I want what's best for SMU first, and if that means going to C-USA, then let's do that. But if that doesn't happen, and the WAC actually is bring proactive (maybe Karl Benson's been reading PonyFans.com?), then I'd love to see the faces of those little frog fans when they have to "accept" a spot in the WAC because nobody else wanted them.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby DR'95 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:02 pm

Well,
Keep in mind, those tcu fans aren't making the decisions.
Besides 1) It might be that they might not want to have to play in a conference with teams like Fresno State, Hawaii, LA Tech (to go along with an emerging SMU)
and 2) They must have short memories, because they were just a door mat a few short years ago.

I think EastStang is right, however, ESPN says Louisville WILL go if offered, and that Cinci and USF are other potential targets.
This would significantly weaken CUSA.

I think a WAC with an East (FSU, SJSU, UH, BSU, Nev, UTEP) and a West (rest +TCU, UH) or even a 14 team conference, including Tulane or Memphis or even UNT would be good for Texas, good for the schools involved - in terms of travel, championship game and even recruiting.

Is it easier to sell a kid on playing Boise State or UAB, or on playing Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, etc?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1995
DR'95

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:09 pm

When we speculate about the changing conference memberships, remember that butts in the seats for FB is all important. In that case, UH, Rice, Tulsa, and SMU have little to offer to anyone at this time. TCU may be gloating about their recent FB record, but that is subject to immediate change. Their true claim to fame is attendance, and we can afford to learn from them in that regard.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:11 pm

I think its funny to see how SMU fans and TCU fans view TCU's program. SMU fans don't give it enough credit while TCU fans give it too much credit. The doormat thing is moot, because we are not anymore, but TCU folks think we should be in the national title game. I just wonder how many people see it for what it is. Sorry just thinking out loud....
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUstang » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:31 pm

This scenario, with TCU, UH, and Tulane seriously considering coming over to the WAC suggests that the BE and C-USA really are going to merge and 4 of the C-USA teams are going to be cut loose. Those 4 are most likely TCU, UH, Tulane, and UAB. That is why those teams become available for inclusion into the WAC. UAB will probably go independent or go to the SBC. The downside is, two of the EWAC will have to play in the west. My guess for those two would be UTEP and Tulsa.

TCU and UH fans will be greatly upset, as will Tulane fans probably. But it is their own conference that is cutting them loose, not us.

The MWC will probably add one WAC team. My guess is Hawaii. That will be good news as far as reducing travel expenses is concerned.

Under this scenario, the BE/C-USA and WAC would go to 12 teams, 2 divisions. The other conferences would be something less.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby DR'95 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:46 pm

JAF -
I couldn't agree more about the fact that very few people really veiw their programs for what they are. I don't know if a truely unbiased fan really exists in college football.

However, the fact that TCU is no longer a bottom tier team is exactly the reason why it is NOT a moot point that it once was a doormat. Because programs can be re-built or brought down.
I'm actually an Aggie, but would LOVE to see a return to A) a strong Texas based conference and B) Texas teams having more than one or two spots in the top 25.

That's my point.
Just like we all make fun of Baylor now, but in the 80's and early 90's they were a solid program.
It's certainly harder to bring them up, but I think Bennett can do it in Dallas and I'd love to see Briles and Morris turn some things around in Houston and Waco.
Just like I think Dickey's done a decent job at UNT.

Anyway, that's my opinion, it's worth what you're paying for it!
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1995
DR'95

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:18 pm

College football won't ever be truly fair unless they move to a playoff system. But since that doesnt seem to be happening I dont know what should be done about all the Conferences. I myself, even though I am a Frog, wouldnt mind seeing SMU in our conference, as I have stated on our board. I hope to see SMU return to a respectable team and I think you can, but I may be one of few Frogs who would say it...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Return to Football