PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big East...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big East...

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:45 pm

No one seems to have caught on that the Big East does not have enough members to play as a Div-1A conference next year (2004-5).

UM and VTech are leaving to compete in 2004, and Temple was banished after the 2004 season. UConn is no supposed to be a member until 2005.

2004, 6 teams: Cuse, BC, WVa, Pitt, Temple, Rutgers
2005, 6 teams: Cuse, BC, WVa, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers

Rutgers is having talks about dropping FB to 1-AA since when was the last time they were competitive (despite a gorgeous stadium).

If UL and Cincy leaves for the BEast, then their love affair may be short-lived, especially if Cuse or Pitt leaves for the BigTen - then what was the move for?

Now reports of USC going to the SEC, I dunno about that, I think they left because of the North Carolina factor (all teams in NC seemed to have more clout), but that could happen.

Ok, the red and blue in me is coming out: SMU still has outside shot at SEC or Big12 after dominos fall. We need this and next seasons to be competive. MEANING: 6-6 this year or else.

For now, I prefer that C-USA stays in tact, sans a UAB, or an ARMY, and grabs 2 or 3 BEast schools, and SMU, and splits into two 7-team divisions, EAST-WEST.

If C-USA dissolves, then perhaps the WAC EAST-WEST with 14, or 12 teams would be realistic.

Too early to tell...
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: Big East...

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:08 pm

Won't happen. But I did call Miami to the ACC over a year ago. But had them adding SMU and Rice with Miami to make a new private school division. At this point, I think we're at the bottom of the well. Hopefully, we'll come out with as good or better conference relationship than we now have. Our future is in the hands of others. Not fun, but that's the fact, jack.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Big East...

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:13 pm

Yep, we are near the bottom of the food chain and can forget about ACC, SEC, or Big 12. If TCU cannot break into the BCS cartel, then we can't either. I think either the BE or C-USA may be history, but the WAC could easily come apart too.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football