PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Assume Our Worst Fears Are Realized

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Assume Our Worst Fears Are Realized

Postby MustangKurt20 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:26 pm

What happens in the worst of these cases. CUSA, BE, WAC all fold...what happens then?

Kurt
Basically, I'm a badass.
MustangKurt20
Junior Varsity

Re: Assume Our Worst Fears Are Realized

Postby PK » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:35 pm

Would you like to rethink that question??? For all these conferences to fold either their teams all give up football or they all go somewhere else...????like where would they all go??? Does this mean the Sunbelt survives???
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:53 pm

First, the MAC has four teams in serious jeopardy for continuing 1-A status. Leaving them with 8. The SBC (heaven forbid) has four teams on the cusp as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. SMU, Fresno, Houston, Tulane and BYU are the only non-BCS schools to be ranked in the Top 10 in football in the last 20 years (and SMU was in the SWC then). TCU can't claim that, nor can CSU, AFA, Louisville, Cincinnati, or Boise. Neither can Duke, UNC, Baylor, Vandy, Rutgers, Temple, U Conn, USF, UCF, or Marshall. Fresno was short lived (about a week). Pitt is about to join the exclusive club. Sure we've stunk for a decade, but TCU (while competitive) and improved is not in the Top 15 teams. Nor are any of the other BCS wannabees.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The CPC » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangKurt20:
<B>What happens in the worst of these cases. CUSA, BE, WAC all fold...what happens then?

Kurt</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PK makes an important point, there is no way all those leagues simply fold. The actual worse case is the Big East/C-USA merger taking TCU and Tulane, so those schools wouldnt be available for a Soutwest regional league, followed by the MWC raiding the WAC for Boise, Hawaii, Fresno and Nevada. That would leave the WAC unviable and they would have to either invite Univ. of Houston and a couple teams from the Sun Belt (UNT and NMSU) or join the Belt.

The only thing possibly worse than that would be for the BE to raid C-USA, then have C-USA raid the western WAC for Tulsa (mens basketball), La Tech (womens basketball and decent revenue sports) and Rice (baseball and national academic reputation) leaving SMU behind.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:43 pm

It means the Sun Belt would have about 30 schools in its conference! From those 30 schools the 'Belt could have 15 little 2 team conference-ettes (traveling buddies?) and then we'd all really be cooking! Image (I'm sorry, the pressure from all these college board conference scenarios is causing me to have LSD flashbacks or something)! Image
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PK:
<B>Would you like to rethink that question??? For all these conferences to fold either their teams all give up football or they all go somewhere else...????like where would they all go??? Does this mean the Sunbelt survives???</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 07-01-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:53 pm

Oh don't blame it on the flashbacks... blame it on the LSD you're still taking you dilusional little green troll!

FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:15 am

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement, but, "ME?", a delusional green troll for heaven's sake? It was actually a poor attempt at some humor, maybe Norm Hitzghes "dad joke" style humor at its worst? Image

BUT NOW I'M A TROLL? I am not hiding behind a fake moniker or disguised as one from another school so how I can I be considered a troll? I thought trolls came on boards with fake names and with their collegiate alma maters you are not always sure about. I am not flaming or smacking SMU so I guess if I were (in deed) a troll I would not be considered a very good one, now would I? Image

GMG!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>Oh don't blame it on the flashbacks... blame it on the LSD you're still taking you dilusional little green troll!

Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by MeanGreenGem (edited 07-01-2003).]
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:31 am

Exactly. Say no to drugs Image

Nah I'm just messin with yah. You're one UNT alum I can get along with.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football