PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My one wish

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My one wish

Postby Nacho » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:33 pm

TCU to the MWC. The perfect marriage. Bless them.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: My one wish

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:54 pm

you know it would drive their athletic program bankrupt so fast and they would be in a conference NOBODY in Texas even cares about. I almost hope they are Stupid enough to do it. They could be the UTEP of the MWC who for years toiled in the WAC in complete and utter invisibility. Unfortunately, I think their administration will likely be ruled by more level heads and they will see a Conference of the South is in their long term benefit.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:00 pm

Hey, they jumped from the WAC to CUSA and may find themselves looking for their fourth conference in 6 years. I'd love to them to be dumb enough to join the billy goats especially if they got Hawaii back in. Give their fans just what they want, games with UNM, Wyo, SDS, Hawaii, CSU, UNLV and Utah in football. One game per decade with BYU and AFA at home. You're right Stallion, they'd be cutting every men's and women's sport they could cut to keep the budget balanced.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Southland » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:31 pm

If the 12-school championship game rule is waived, and 10 schools get you a championship game...

MWC
BYU-Utah
Wyoming-Boise
Nevada-UNLV
SDSU-New Mexico
Air Force-Colorado State

BIG EAST
Syracuse-BC
Connecticut-Rutgers
West Virginia-Pittsburgh
Louisville-Cincinnati
South Florida-Memphis

Out of Division 1A: San Jose State

Left overs:

WAC
Hawaii-Fresno
UTEP
SMU-Rice
LA Tech-Tulsa

CUSA
TCU-Houston
Tulane-So Miss
UAB-East Carolina

New Conference:
SMU-TCU
Rice-Houston
Tulane-So Miss
Tulsa-LA Tech
(Army-Navy) affiliates

...all of a sudden that meeting at Reagan National doesn't look so dumb. Scary what could happen if that rule goes through.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:31 pm

TCU to the MWC would be totally be a marriage of convenience. BCS money can pay for the extra travel expenses. And really, if they tried it and BCS was not achieved, its not like the Conference of the South would not let them back in the future. We can sit here and say the entry fees would be prohibitive, but in the end thats probably a chance worth taking for them. In fact, playing BYU once every 10 years might be just fine with the Toads if it gave them a inside track to the league championship game and BCS berth.
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:55 pm

God I hope they do something of such a tremendously stupid magnitude like join the MWC.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:14 pm

With risk comes reward. If they were to get BCS access, could we really be so smug about traveling expenses? What if they have a Gerald Ford or two, who are willing to make some large donations to see their team have a shot at the prize? In case, you havent noticed they think an awful lot of their team, whether they are delusional or not remains to be seen. Point is, don't worry about someone else's money, let them do that. Rice fans may sit there and say how dumb SMU was to spend $60M on a new stadium with no assurance of payback. Point is, most of it is Ford, Hunt and Pettus money, not university money or endowment money. And even if it was university money, do fans really care about the budget problems of their schools? Hell no. Alums care about winning and seeing there team on tv and their schools name in lights. TCU seems to see the value in happy alums.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 07-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 07-01-2003).]
Hoop Fan

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:48 pm

Remember that MIAMI ultimately went to ACC out of EXPENSE side savings, rather than REVENUE generation.

For TCU to go MWC, they would incur even more costs than C-USA, which was more than in the WAC.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:50 pm

I have disliked as much as anybody the comments by some TCU people both on their board, and in the paper about not wanting to be in the same league as SMU. However, with that said, they represent the most natural rival we have today, or have ever had, with the exception of our Texas rivaly in the 80's. It would to our mutual detriment if TCU joined the MWC as opposed to being together in CUSA or in a newly consituted WAC.

I, for one, have been around long enough to remember when we had a 15 year consecutive win streak against them (1972-1986) that was not broken until we came back from the Death Penalty. During that 15 year stretch, and especially during the 80's there were many SMU fans who thought they and Rice (we had a 17 year stretch against them) where well below our standards.

We all know that most programs have their ups and downs. TCU has been up while we have been at our worst, but Bennett is in the process of changing our future.

We should not let emotions get in the way of a very important natural rivalry, and TCU supporters should not allow their short-term success against us blind them about the benefits of the rivalry, or the fact our program is rapidly on the rise.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:52 pm

Hoop Fan has got it right. Can't blame TCU fans from trying to break into the BCS. But it ain't going to happen without a class action suit by the non-BCS schools. Clearly the C-USA views the MWC as having higher status than they do among the left out conferences. So true, so true.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football