PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possible position change?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Possible position change?

Postby Scoops » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:25 am

There's rumors coming out of the summer workouts that Cory Muse might be getting moved to WR. Remember, in high school he was a linebacker/tight end, but when he signed with SMU, Coach Bennett talked about how he has enormous hands, and catches everything. Apparently that's carrying over - the rumor is he's opened a lot of eyes at the summer workouts by catching everything near him. There's talk that the coaches might move him to receiver, but of course, they can't be at these optional workouts, so I would guess they'll wait until August to make it official.

But if it IS true .... Cory is a 6'3", 210-pound guy, at least according to the PF.com Recruiting Roundup. A guy that big, with great hands .... how long until 2-a-days?
Scoops
All-American

Re: Possible position change?

Postby OldPony » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:27 am

Oh good. We don't need any linebackers or tight ends.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:12 am

If he's really that size and can really run, I say put him out there at WR. He could be the type of receiver who takes over a game, although we HAVE to allow him the time to grow in to that role.

I wouldn't worry too much - there are some young LBs and TEs who seem to have talent, and who will develop. If Muse really is a star in the making at WR, there's no reason to force him to another position.

Having never seen him play, I'll defer to the coaches here....
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:45 am

Every coach - college, pro - would love a receiver of that size who catches everything that's thrown his way. If this rumor turns out to be true, Coach Bennett might have stumbled upon a gem (although I hope Coach Faucette can shave a little off that 4.6 time in the 40 that's listed on the Recruiting Roundup).

Postby Otto » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:08 pm

Man, if Cory Muse can really run, he could cause a lot of headaches for defenses.
I wonder if the coaches would throw him right into the fire, or if they'd redshirt him because (A) we have a lot of receivers and (B) they'd want him to really learn the position.
But if he looks that good, and he's really that big, he might be hard to keep off the field.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Return to Football