PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Depth chart

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Depth chart

Postby hpfan » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:34 pm

Now that spring is finished, players have left, injuries have healed and players have shown up or not,,,,What is the anticipated 1-2 depth chart we should expect to see going into two a days. Somebody in the coaches office must be seeing the black boards and the real lists. Can we find out the true skinny rather than the pre spring list. Help Please!..Also lets go back to posting about football and not speculations and politics..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Re: Depth chart

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:58 pm

"And lets go back to posting about football and not speculations and politics."

I'm with you there.

Postby No Quarter » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:17 pm

I was wondering about the latest depth chart, etc., a few days ago and contacted the SID office at the address in smumustangs.com. I asked about the media guide and the on-line information. The reply copied below came last Sunday, 29 June.

It surprised me a little that someone was working on the weekend, but welcome. And... the answer is, "within a month."

In the interest of "real news" I'm hoping that someone in Dallas can get advance word from the coaches. All of us are very interested in recovery from surgery, late position changes, and a lot more.

"The guide goes to the printer on Monday, should be back around late July.

There will be a link on the site for the media guide this week.

The roster and bios will be up sometime within the next month. We are working as hard as we can to get the info out to fans, donors, and alumni.

Let us know if you have any questions."
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:47 pm

This is a guess, and only a guess (meaning I'm certainly open to corrections/suggestions). Here goes....

QUARTERBACK
Richard Bartel
Tate Wallis

RUNNING BACK
Keylon Kincade
Johnnie Fitzgerald

WIDE RECEIVER
Chris Cunningham
Trey Griffin

WIDE RECEIVER
Jay Taylor
Trey Griffin

WIDE RECEIVER
Matt Rushbrook
Cedric Vinson

TIGHT END
Trent Hrncir
Ryan Kennedy

LEFT TACKLE
Eric Neal
Martin Guidry

LEFT GUARD
Brad Kieschnick
Chris Urbanus

CENTER
Steve Reindl
Grant Eidson

RIGHT GUARD
Townsend Hargis
Chris Poulus

RIGHT TACKLE
Sterling Harris
Dustin Morton

DEFENSIVE END
Don Ieremia-Stansbury
Mike Benson

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Allan Adami
Desmond Jones

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Darrin Johnson
Randy Denman

DEFENSIVE END
Melvin Williams
Justin Rogers

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
Brian Bischoff
Jamar Bey

MIDDLE LINEBACKER
D.D. Lee
Reggie Carrington

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
D.D. Johnson
Jarrian James

CORNERBACK
Jonas Rutledge
Ervin McGee

FREE SAFETY
Jamey Harper
Joe Sturdivant

STRONG SAFETY
Rico Harris
Alvin Nnabuife

CORNERBACK
Rolando Humphrey
Ruben Moodley

PUNTER
Ryan Mentzel
Chris McMurtray

PLACEKICKER
Chris McMurtray
Ryan Wolcott

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

OK, so it will change a hundred times between now and August. But that's my guess (until it changes tomorrow, and again the next day, and again ....)
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby hpfan » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:47 pm

I agree smuguy the only constant will be change and I agree with most of your thoughts. With a few suggested alterations: Eidson also a #2@ RG; Berry #2@ DE; Bonds #2@ DT/NG; Karrington #1@ DT; Denman #2@ DT; Horton #2@ OLB.. D.Johnson is now at OL/OT. At least this is my best guess until someone that actually knows something can comment..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Otto » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:04 pm

Darrin Johnson's on the offensive line again? I thought the coaches were all excited during the spring about how well he was playing at DT. What happened that prompted the change?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Otto » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:06 pm

And I bet Ryan Kennedy is the starting TE by the time the WAC part of the schedule begins.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:42 pm

Yes, Darrin Johnson is moving back to the offensive line .... at least for now. The defensive coaches still want him, so he might flip-flop a million times before the season starts, but for the moment, at least, he's on the offensive line.

And if he stays there, I'd start him at left tackle. He and Sterling Harris would make a pretty imposing pair of bookend tackles.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:52 am

Okay, thanks for the projected depth chart. But who, in in the collective opinion is the SIXTH wide receiver?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:57 am

Cory Muse?
Reynaldo Pellerin?
Blake Warren?
Jay'Mond Cleveland?
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby d_pony » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:13 pm

6th wr - wesley medlock
#2 de - clay glockzin & justin rodgers
d_pony
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:28 pm

From what I hear, the next best bet at WR is Cory Muse. Which is an extremely interesting development. If he's tearing it up at WR, will we use him or redshirt him? Sure would be nice to have a big target to compliment Comet, Rushbrook and Griffen. You'd think that'd be Taylor, but I don't think he's quite stepped it up in games yet.

Karrington starting DT?? Hard to believe since he hasn't been on the field for so long. But if he could win that battle, it sure would clear up a few things (i.e. where to put Darrin Johnson). How's the shoulder? Is he practicing yet? What's the scoop HPfan?

And speaking of... Is Darrin Johnson ready to start? Especially at LT?? He'd certainly look good there, but has he acquired the strength to play there? Will be interesting to see how this works out. Don't laugh, but it'll also be interesting to see if Justin Boren gets into the mix this fall. Obviously there's going to be a big adjustment for him, but he's big, athletic, and he's already our strongest lineman. Will be interesting to watch.

Brandon Bonds is also a big, strong kid. But if anybody from this year's recruiting class is going to play DL early, my money is on Desmond Jones. He's good enough to challenge for at least a backup DT spot immediately, and he has the speed to play at DE too. Reminds me a bit of Kevin Aldridge size and speed-wise.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby hpfan » Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:57 pm

Your right, Karrington is turning out to be an interesting story. He has had his full release from PT two months ago about three months ahead of schedule. They say he is now lifting ahead of season end pace. I personally saw him and Adami leading the afternoon drills last week with the D-line. So I really think its possible the cure is in the making and barring injury the D-line looks ready. He also is about 275 and looks real hard and large..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:30 pm

If Karrington is 275, and Adami is in the 270 range, I feel a little better about losing Darrin Johnson to the offensive line. That's still smaller than you'd like for a pair of interior defensive linemen, but we all know Adami plays bigger and stronger than his size would suggest.

How big is Randy Denman now? Can he contribute this year?

I still think that Desmond Jones and/or Brandon Bonds will need to be ready to contribute this year. And we need to sign at least two DTs in February.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:45 pm

Unfortunately for Karrington, due to the shoulder he's fallen into the category of "out of sight, out of mind." As such, his healthy, successful return could be the X-factor for the D-line.

The problem with Karrington, Denman, Johnson, Dineen, Jones, Bonds, et al., is that none of them has seen any significant (or any at all) playing time. It's hard to believe that as a sophomore, Randy Denman is the elder statesman of that group.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football