PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

\"Tulane's Cowen hopes C-USA doesn't rush into changes\"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: \"Tulane's Cowen hopes C-USA doesn't rush into changes\"

Postby BenW » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>It's been stated that no further conference re-alignments will happen until at least next year, so why are we still speculating?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Speaking for myself, because it's fun
BenW
Recruit

Re: \"Tulane's Cowen hopes C-USA doesn't rush into changes\"

Postby BenW » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>When Cowen says he hopes everyone will be more deliberate and ultimately rearrange the conferences so they make sense, I take that to mean "let's be civil" and let everyone take their fair share of CUSA, WAC or MWC booty before one of those conferences ceases to exist. By having all remaining conferences work together, there is hope something good can come out of this for all.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I partially agree with that, but UAB will be part of the mix (if for no other reason you must keep at least 6 teams together for 5 years and TCU wouldn't count); and there have been proposals whereby the BE would effectively take over c-usa, evict the southern teams, and control 2 conferences (this would be probably illegal, definitely actionable for civil damages and would create more havoc than anyone has ever seen yet with the conference realignments).
If the 6 team C-USA scenario works out close to the way you suggest, it's possible that all four teams from the EWAC move in in that scenario, but I think 3 is more likely (they might pick ucf or marshall or someone like that first). The EWAC teams could hang tight in an "all or nothing" sort of scenario - but are the relationships with La Tech such that they would hold fast with tech?
On the other hand, there is the WAC's opportunity to make a proposal to 3 or 4 eastern C-USA teams; but from what I've seen of WAC leadership, they do a lot of talking, but very little building, planning, bowl negotiations, etc. And with the uncertainty re the western wac teams...
BenW
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football