PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Comet .... returns

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Comet .... returns

Postby PonyPower » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:17 pm

I never realized:

~ Chris Cunningham already has returned more punts than anyone in school history (68), far exceeding the 58 returns by Jerry Levias and Arthur Whittington.

~ Comet's 665 career punt return yards are the third-highest total in SMU history, trailing #2 Jerry Levias (710 yards) and all-time leader Doak Walker, who finished his legendary career at SMU with 750 punt return yards.
PonyPower
All-American

Re: Comet .... returns

Postby 93Mustang » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:58 pm

Comet is a stud and his loss last year was huge. With Comet healthy and Bartel having some experience, we should be able to compete in our tough non-conference games. A win at Baylor would be huge for this team and might be the key to having some confidence heading into the WAC schedule. Wins against OSU at Ford and/or at Tech. would be great, but both of those teams will be very hard for the young Mustangs to beat - think baby steps . . .
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:42 am

Let's be fair, Cody Cardwell was better than any of us expected returning punts in Comet's absence. But having #21 back on special teams will make the return game even better. And you're right, he should lend an element of experience and stability to the passing game that should help Bartel settle in more quickly.

With all the success Coach Bennett has started to have on the recruiting front, can you imagine how wide the gap would be (recruiting-wise) between us and Baylor High if we beat them? I mean, their record is awful since they politic-ed their way into the Big 12, but they're still a Big 12 team. If we can knock them off, recruiting will only get better (and that's not even taking into account the effects if we should upset Tech).
Ikus
Heisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:36 pm

Cardwell did have a great season, and I think anyone who says they predicted it is lying. But I think Comet will be even better, in part because he's so hungry to get back out there.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:56 pm

What we need in the return game is reliable and respectable results, assuming the offense improves. Let's just hope that games aren't determined by how we do in the special teams area.

In anycase it is great to have the Comet back.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football