PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Just do it

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Just do it

Postby Nacho » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:47 am

The southern C-USA conference plus SMU, Tulsa and Rice is the one that makes the most sense. Just get it over with. Even I am sick of it.

[This message has been edited by Nacho (edited 07-07-2003).]
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Just do it

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:38 am

I'm sick of it too, but the stakes are high. It seems the Tulane prez has resigned himself to the notion that even if there is a BE/CUSA merger, Tulane will not be invited. Why else would he talk about suing the BCS and also the benefits of a regional league? At the same time, it clearly sounds like TCU is gonna do whatever it takes to steer clear of a regional conference. And it also seems pretty clear that there is no SMU-TCU partnership or partnering going on. Not sure I like Turner making public comments about Tulane etc, this could all backfire in our face again like it did back in 1999.
Hoop Fan

Postby Ikus » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:43 am

Nacho, you're not allowed to be sick of it. Miles Brand (NCAA commish) needs you to explain the realignment/expansion possibilities to him, and what they'll mean to difference conferences.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:21 pm

From what I gather, TCU is desperately trying to get into some kind of BE/C-USA merger. They are also playing the MWC angle. I think each would be football only with all other sports in the SBC. If they join us in some type of regional southern C-USA it will be because the other options didn't pan out for them. When all is said and done I see them joining the southern C-USA. They wasted $4 million joining C-USA. They are trying to save face.
Nacho

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:57 pm

You might be right about them having to save face. Unfortunately for us, their football team has had enough success lately that they might just be able to get included in the MWC or a BE merger.
Hoop Fan

Postby Nacho » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:45 pm

Having TCU go to the MWC is a possibility. I wouldn't put anything past them. They could use their new bowl as a bargaining chip. I don't see them going to the BE but the MWC is a remote possibility. The BE woud probably get the BCS nod though since they offer many more tv sets. TCU would be stuck playing on the Moon and paying the MWC a nice entry fee (again) for the right to do so. Unless TCU can worm their way into the BE they will be in the southern C-USA IMHO.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:58 pm

TCU's "Ft Worth Bowl" may be appealing to regional schools like SMU, Rice, Houston, Tulsa, UNT and La Tech...but to the rest of the country it's going to be a joke. My guess is that it will rank right up there with the "Boise Blue Field Bowl". Nobody will be telling their prospective recruits they might someday earn a holiday trip to Ft Worth!

I commend TCU on their commitment to athletics and their recent success, but too many of their fans have lost sight of reality.

As someone pointed out in another thread, it's the TV networks who will ultimately dictate who makes the grade and TCU, despite their recent success, still can't put more than 30,000 butts in the seats at ACS. I firmly believe BYU is the only non-BCS program that offers any appeal to the networks. Put 60,000 in the stands and sports minded Mormons nationwide pulling for you...that spells ratings.
Charleston Pony

Postby BenW » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:26 pm

Tulane's pres has been talking about a regional league for a long time, strictly as a cost saving maneuver - the guy, frankly, is whacked in the head in a lot of ways (you have to be to actually consider dropping to division 3) - he actually dislikes athletics donations - thinks that if we didn't play ball all that money would go to his academic departments (like I said, he's nutty).
If there is a full-blown BE merger, it will be for 1 reason - to get rid of the non-football teams in the BE and in C-USA (otherwise, they would take 2 or so c-usa teams); Tulane and TCU would probably not be invited but would also have a LARGE, and I mean LARGE, claim for damages. (The MWC, in contrast, really didn't take anything tangible from the WAC - didn't take the basketball bid, any bowls, etc.) Pres Cowen may end up with his wallet full and a league he likes.

[This message has been edited by BenW (edited 07-07-2003).]
BenW
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:04 am

The problem with the so-called Big East/CUSA merger is that the Big East is only working to salvage it's football reputation. I don't think any of the BE fball schools have any desire to seperate themselves from the lucrative bball that conference offers. Remember, both conferences were founded as bball conferences. I'm sure the BE will be more than willing to pluck the top programs from CUSA to round out their football membership, but they will have to be careful not to dilute the bball product. That's why I see Louisville as a lock, Cincy as a probable and the other football programs as "marginal". If the BE wants to maintain a Fla presence, they might look to S.Fla or they might even consider adding Army/Navy as football only members. While those two don't bring strength, they do bring national recognition and after all, retaining a spot at the BCS table is all about appealing to the networks.
Charleston Pony

Return to Football