PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

First 3 games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

First 3 games

Postby OldPony » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:36 pm

These games may be the most important SMU has played since the DP. Win and we look good to other conference. Lose and we will see little gain before the conference realignments. Never do I remember 3 games which will impact the future of SMU sports as much. Phil B.- Good luck to you and all the coaches and players. The pressure to excel is on and it has to start this year.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: First 3 games

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:43 pm

Regardless of what is being said in the media, I think the pieces fall in place before the season starts with the Big East. Even if they dont, I don't see how losing to Texas Tech and OK State would hurt our chances for CUSA. Of course, a win over one of those two could certainly help, but I think you are overstating the downside. I would say the Baylor game is the one big game to win to keep recruiting momentum and prevent an Ofer September start.

[This message has been edited by Hoop Fan (edited 07-08-2003).]
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:46 pm

Yeah, the Baylor game is the important one there. OkState and Tech are supposed to beat us. Baylor should be 50-50 for a win, and if we win, we can tell recruits we beat a Big 12 team. Of course, if we beat either of the other two .... what a great start to the season that would be!

[This message has been edited by Thumper (edited 07-08-2003).]
Thumper
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:58 pm

Agreed - we have only upside for TT and Okie State -assuming no awful blowouts - Baylor is the one that we can start ot build on - they will REALLY not want to lose to us, so we better go in there expecting a dog-fight - and those Baptists can get downright testy when backed into the corner.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:00 pm

Sorry SMU/Baylor is not a 50/50 chance on the road. We will be at a minimum a 6-7 point dog.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:51 pm

I never said we would be better then 50/50 shot at Baylor. I think we might be 10 point underdogs on the road. It is the one we have a shot at relative to TT and OSU.

I have always said we should lighten our OC games so we maintain a little excitement going into the season - one or two should be "should wins" to build more local excitement.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:55 pm

Sorry stallion - I see now you were referring to a previous post - disregard
gostangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:01 am

Baylor has dominated us moreso than any other SWC foe since our return from the death penalty, but I agree that game should be our best opportunity to compete (of our 1st 3 games). I also agree that in order for this program to establish any credibility, it is critical that we win one of our non-conference games this year, and Baylor remains our best shot at an upset. I agree the Bears will be favored...just like the Kansas Jayhawks were 7 pt favorites back on 9-2-2000
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:02 am

No we shouldn't lessen our out of conference load for two reasons. (1) We need to put butts in the seats to stay 1-A and regional Big 12 opponants do that. (2) If we can never get to the point where we can beat a Big 12 team, then what business do we have staying in Division 1-A. Playing good teams gives you a yardstick to measure your program.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:39 am

Two wins and we have much more to talk about with the conferences. We will be underdogs in all three. Much has been made of Bennett and the positive impact he has had on the program BUT another season like the last one will not suffice. The horribly disappointing loss to Navy was a killer for last season. The total blowout by OSU was too. The Ponies must win 1 of the first 3 and be very competitive in the other 2 if we are to improve our standings in the eyes of the football world. 3 losses to start would be devastating even though we won't be favored in any. Recruiting would be very negatively affected too if we lose to BU.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:10 pm

OldPony-

I will have to disagree on your comment about OSU. It should not have been shocking to anybody that we got whipped during that game. And it should come as no surprise if that game is not very close this year as well. That is a very good football team over there, as evidenced by some of the team they beat last year. I don't believe that was a killer like Navy because nobody expected us to come out of Stillwater a winner.

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:16 pm

Didn't they lose to La. Tech last year? I think that is what got hopes up. After beating us, they really took off and did great the rest of the year. I think beating us was a real confidence booster for them.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JustAFriend » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:53 pm

In all honesty, I think you guys could potentially pull off 2 out of 3. I think you definitely should beat Baylor, and i think the Tech game is one where you could have the chance to win. You have nothing to lose by going in to Lubbock balls out, pardon the expression. I think if Bennett will go in with Guns blazing, you have a great shot at an opening weekend upset. From that point then the season is in good shape. I don't think the OSU game looks promising, simply because they will have one of the most productive offenses in the nation with a 1-2 punch at TB, a 3000 yd passer, and Rashaun AND Dejuan Woods. Their defense is also good. The will be in the hunt for the Big 12 title w/in 2 years. But if you could play them close you can gain respect. My bold and fearless prediction is a 2-1 start with the wins over Tech and Baylor.....
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:02 pm

OSU was devastating. Did they ever fail to score in the first half? OSU was good. They were not Miami or Ohio St or Oregon or UT or OU etc. I didn't expect to win but I expected that we could at least be within 30 at half. This team can't get run off of the field by any of the first 3. If so, we'll be looking at another year just like last one.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby JustAFriend » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:20 pm

I don't agree. SMU wouldnt be the only team that gets run off the field by OSU this year, should that happen. And you made referrence to OSU not being OU, but they did beat OU each of the last two years. Not sure how many teams can say that. They will be a very good team this year, better than last year so dont be surprised if they blow some teams out.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football