PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU game jerseys

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU game jerseys

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:29 pm

There are two lots on eBay.com of interest:

2002 #66 (MUNS) game jersey, and a game jersey from 2002 with the number 91 - who wore that?
Thumper
Varsity

Re: SMU game jerseys

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:35 pm

There's also some tickets to the Tech game, for those who want to head to Lubbock and celebrate the Ponies' season-opening WIN.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby SMUFan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:22 am

Isn't Muns still on the team? I thought he had some real promise, and great size.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:12 pm

Is that true? Is this "Muns" guy still on the team? How could he sell a jersey?
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby leopold » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:23 pm

I was in a used CD store in Olde Towne Center the other day, "CD Source" on Greenville, when I saw a white SMU jersey signed by Coach Bennett on sale there. I was pleased to see something other than just the usual single poster hanging on the wall.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Southland » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:34 pm

With the retro jersey fashion in style, SMU is losing in the merchandising game...

the school should be marketing the hell out of retro jerseys from Doak Walker, Kyle Rote, Don Meredith, Forrest Gregg, Jerry Levias, Eric Dickerson, Craig James, Reggie Duppard...
Southland
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:53 pm

Man, how sweet a Doak Walker retro jersey would be!
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:54 pm

Southland: Call Bob at The Spirit Shop located at Ford Stadium and pass your suggestion along to him.

Ponyboy: It'd be solid red with the number '37' on it.

And remember, fellow Mustangs, back then (late 40s) there were no names on the back of the jerseys...for that matter, there was only a number...no SMU or anything else! Is that what you're thinking of as 'retro' (original) or are you thinking of something else? Someone use PhotoShop and 'design' a jersey with the famous names of SMU's historic past and post it! I'd like to see what they'd look like!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 07-10-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyte » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:18 pm

The Doak jersey is made of heavy nylon with sewn on numbers. Also long sleeve. Getting the material near or like the original might be a problem now days. I am fortunate to have a jersey form the early 50s (red) mid 70s (red as well) and early 80s (blue)

The Dickerjames jerseys were midriff and mesh so they would not be a wearable for everyday use.

All in all, I think it would be wonderful if one could purchase retro SMU jerseys.
ponyte

Postby Southland » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
<B>Southland: Call Bob at The Spirit Shop located at Ford Stadium and pass your suggestion along to him.

Ponyboy: It'd be solid red with the number '37' on it.

And remember, fellow Mustangs, back then (late 40s) there were no names on the back of the jerseys...for that matter, there was only a number...no SMU or anything else! Is that what you're thinking of as 'retro' (original) or are you thinking of something else? Someone use PhotoShop and 'design' a jersey with the famous names of SMU's historic past and post it! I'd like to see what they'd look like!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly what I am thinking of for Doak. The more variety (design, color) amongst the jerseys, the more you're going to sell.

There isn't much difference between the old time football jerseys and the kind of style jerseys they sell at an Old Navy or A&F... some people wouldn't be into wearing a modern jersey, but would purchase something that is more versatile.

On the other hand, you’ll have people who would die to have “Dickerson” on the back, so it would be good to produce a handful and see which ones sell. Maybe introduce a couple each season.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:49 pm

The jerseys are all new for this year. He won't need any of last years'.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Swamp Gas:
<B>Is that true? Is this "Muns" guy still on the team? How could he sell a jersey?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:38 am

I don't know if it's still up there, but there was a retro Doak Walker jersey on eBay a couple of days ago.
Thumper
Varsity

Return to Football